Licensing Bill coming to Ohio

Can you share what you wrote?

Joshua,
These are my views on portions of the Bill. You know what they say about opinions.

I am very fortunate to have been provided the opportunity to operate a Home Inspection business in the State of Ohio. I belong to several national home inspection organizations, associations and societies which have stringent Code of Ethics and Standards of Procedures regarding the performance of home inspections.

The current proposed Bill, Ohio HB 211, governing Home Inspectors contains language that does not help the Ohio consumer and is detrimental to the Home Inspection industry in the State of Ohio. The Bill, as written, will adopt Code of Ethics and Standards of Procedures of a select society. This society will be the only entity which may interpret and change at any time, these Code of Ethics and Standards of Procedures. I do not believe it is wise to put the interpretation of a State Law into the hands of private organization. Furthermore, any Code of Ethics and Standards of Procedures included in the Bill should be “*Authored” *by the State.

The current proposed House Bill 211 is, quite frankly, a money grab. It will funnel money to testing organizations and other organization providing continuing education outside of the State of Ohio. The passing of the National Home Inspectors Examination (NHIE) will be required. The NHIE is a flawed examination consisting of questions which are outside the Standards of Practice of all nationally recognized organizations representing home inspectors. Furthermore, the NHIE is not an independent organization. The NHIE is the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) veiled attempt to misguide law-makers into thinking the NHIE is an independent test.

Although HB 211 is touted as beneficial to the Ohio consumer, it is not. If passed, the law would require a bare minimum home inspection. The additional costs to home inspectors to do business in the State of Ohio will be passed onto to the consumer. The consumer will be getting less of a home inspection for a significantly higher cost.

I ask that you **DO NOT **support HB 211 governing Home Inspectors. HB 211 is detrimental to the Citizens of the State of Ohio and will only profit certain big businesses operating outside of the State of Ohio.

Thank you. I concur with your sentiments 100%. I’m going to try and send something today.

I used the link also to contact our representative. Thanks for the link Kevin!

Your welcome James.

The final hearing is on 2/27 at 1:30.

Matt, do you know if they are taking testimony that day?

As far as I know. I have the latest version of the bill but have not had a chance to read it over. I’ll get to that tonight and post comments.

Matt,
I’ll message you

For your reading enjoyment. There is nothing about grandfathering. Everyone will be on the same page. If you haven’t passed the national exam in the last two years you are going to have to take it.
Such crap! I am a CMI and I will essentially have to “start over” and be put on the same level as a new guy.

© The superintendent shall issue a license to perform home inspections to applicants who satisfy the requirements set forth in this section, subject to section 4768.14 of the Revised Code. (D) Except as otherwise specified in division (E) of this section, the application shall include all of the following: (1) A pledge the applicant signs, agreeing to comply with the rules adopted by the board pursuant to division (A) (10) of section 4764.05 of the Revised Code; (2) A statement that the applicant understands the grounds
1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 1591 1592 1593 1594 1595 1596 1597 1598 1599 1600 1601 1602 1603
Sub. H. B. No. 211 Page 56 l_132_0847-4
for any disciplinary action that may be initiated under this chapter; (3) Proof of holding a comprehensive general liability insurance policy or a commercial general liability insurance policy in accordance with division (A) of section 4764.11 of the Revised Code; (4) Proof of successfully passing, within two years before the date of the application, the national home inspector examination ; (5) Proof of successfully completing a curriculum of education approved by the board in accordance with rules the board adopts pursuant to division (A) (3) of section 4764.05 of the Revised Code; (6) Proof that the applicant has experience in the field of home inspections through either of the following: (a) Successful completion of a curriculum of experience approved by the board in accordance with rules the board adopts pursuant to divisions (A)(4) and (D) of section 4764.05 of the Revised Code; (b) Successful completion of ten parallel inspections or equivalent experience as determined by the board pursuant to division (A)(5) of section 4764.05 of the Revised Code; (7) Proof that the applicant is at least eighteen years of age; (8) Proof that the applicant has graduated from the twelfth grade, received a general educational development diploma, or satisfactorily completed a program that is the equivalent to graduating from the twelfth grade or receiving a
1604 1605 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 1617 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627 1628 1629 1630 1631
Sub. H. B. No. 211 Page 57 l_132_0847-4
general educational development diploma; (9) Any other information the board requires that the board determines is relevant to receiving a license to practice as a licensed home inspector. (E) The superintendent shall not require a person described in division (B) or © of section 4764.03 of the Revised Code who wishes to obtain a license to perform home inspections under this chapter to submit proof of education and experience as required under divisions (D)(5) and (6) of this section in the person’s application in order for that person to receive a license. Such a person, however, shall satisfy all other requirements specified in divisions (A) and (D) of this section and provide proof of licensure in good standing described in division (B) or © of section 4764.03 of the Revised Code to receive a license. (F) The act of submitting an application to the superintendent does not create, shall not be construed as creating, and is not intended to indicate licensure as a home inspector.

Click on “View current version”, then scroll down to page 74 and read section 6.

House Bill 211 - Status | The Ohio Legislature

To the best of my knowledge this version has been revised at least twice, so it’s not completely accurate, and will most likely be revised many more times before it’s all said and done, but this is the grandfather clause.

HMMM, the version I just got yesterday is different. I have no idea which one is correct. The version I have was sent to me by the State Reps secretary. That’s how I was informed of the hearing on Tuesday.

Any word on how the vote went today? Couldn’t find out anything online

HB211 passed 12-2 to send it to the house floor.

They are hoping to have it voted on in the house in the next 30 day before they break for the primary’s

Since when does the government work that fast, haha

This should give you an idea of what we are up against.

**After clicking on the below link, on the left side of the page that appears, click “candidates”.

OHIO ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS - FollowTheMoney.org 6

Board of Realtors here have been pushing their membership to contact their politicians to support this bill, even sending them links to send to them. Also in their emails it says that it is important as Ohio Ashi supports the bill. I thought there was supposed to be another vote back on the 11th but haven’t seen anything

Typical … The NAR has had licensing HI’s one of their top political goals since 2002 that I’m aware of.

With A$HI helping the Realtors screw the home inspectors.

Any updates?