Licensing Bill coming to Ohio

Yes I am about to start a verbal war;-)

Charley,

I have briefly read over the Oklahoma law governing home inspectors. If I am incorrect in what I say, I apologize in advance.

I see that the State of Oklahoma has their own SOP in place. Oklahoma does not mention any home inspection association by name.

(From the draft of proposed Ohio Licensing)
“The board shall adopt the American society of home inspectors’ standards and code of ethics as minimum requirements for this chapter.”

This is promoting one association over others and has no place in any law. Also, that association may change the SOP at any time, thereby changing the law as adopted. (ie: Those persons operating under these SOP’s must be members of this association.)

(From the Reporter August 2011)

• “The ASHI Standards of Practice Committee is charged with developing and maintaining the ASHI Standards of Practice and answering Requests for Interpretation (RFI) of it.”*

• Is it prudent to allow an association to dictate the laws and the interpretation of laws?

There are many more items in the Ohio draft which are problematic to a businessperson. As I have time, I will continue to post them.

The Ohio draft, as written, is a farce. It has nothing to do with protecting the public. It is to put monies in the pockets of select individuals, companies and associations.

I agree with you that is why I stated if licensing is to become law it must be properly written. Okla SOP was not properly written and was influenced by ASHI members in this State that wanted a soft cushy SOP

Government intervention in small business rarely, if ever, leads to anything good. Home inspector licensing laws have done more harm than good. Once there is licensing, it is a financial burden to the home inspector and home inspectors are nothing more than a fungible commodity in the minds of consumers. The inspectors who will be hurt the most are the most highly qualified.

The NHIE is a seriously flawed flawed exam and ASHI is an organization that only serves its own interests, not the interests of inspectors or consumers.

I keep hearing that there is a shortage of electricians in Ohio. If this law passes, I may have to go back into the electrical business (which is not something I want to do).

I operate in a licensing State. At some point I believe all States will eventually have a license. I find them to be completely hollow and poorly executed but unfortunately a part of the business. What I do not like is the bully mentality.

I was part of the original License Board for Illinois. I was completely bullied by ASHI to make sure the SOP reflected their point of view. Even through I was a member of ASHI I was not going to sit and have them bully into having them take over the Adopted Rule.

I hope this hold true for my friends in Ohio. Someone needs to get into the ear of the the author of this bill and have that line removed and substituted with a more neutral or less biased SOP.

Good luck Ohio inspectors. If you are ever looking for advice I am here for you.

I have a dumb question in regards to obtaining an inspectors license. what else is needed after completing the internachi course online. is there anymore testing to be done with the state of ohio?

No licensing at this time in Ohio for home inspections.
Radon, pest are a different story.

Have very mixed feelings about Ohio possibly becoming a licensed state. Will get a license if I have to. Have enough things on my plate as it is.

Discussion about Hb 211 to continue in 2018. Main problem cost. Home Inspector licence $250.00 every 3 yrs. Approximately $110,000 every 3 yrs. Annual cost to state of Ohio $412,000 every year. So far not worth it to state of Ohio. Even if dues where every year, it would not cover cost. It is said that there are 437 home inspectors in Ohio. If all 437 applied for licence it will cost each Inspector approximately $1,000 a yr. just to cover cost. If about 25% do not apply for licence it will leave the State in a big financial hole.

Thanks Mike very interesting information .

We in Ontario are to be Licensed this year.

I have not heard much info and wonder what the cost will be

Here’s the link to view the Bill

https://legiscan.com/OH/text/HB211/id/1612762/Ohio-2017-HB211-Introduced.pdf

Just curious how you came up with the cost numbers

In everyones opinion if this passes how long are we talking before its set in stone ?

HB0211IN (1).pdf (224 KB)

I found the figures in this summary of HB 211

Bill being changed: https://www.nachi.org/forum/f14/international-association-certified-home-inspectorss-general-counsel-meeting-ohio-legislators-regarding-licensing-124405/

FYI - ALERT: Ohio REALTORS to launch ‘Call For Action’ on home inspector licensure next week! | Ohio Association of Realtors

Another FYI - Action Center

I keep telling all the agents I know that thinks this is a great idea. “be careful what you wish for”. I love the look on their faces when I tell them that.

As long as Kevin posted that link, I clicked on it.
I was able to change the language in the scripted letter to my views and sent it on its’ way.
You might as well use the tools that the agents (and Kevin) gave us.

See above.
I just got confirmation that my email was sent to my State Representative.