Licensing question

Agree three times over Stephen.

Been there done that and saw the same thing in OAHI .
Best to ignore and do your own thing .
I expect they will be gone and you will still be around doing good inspections.

That’s how I see it as well Roy. It may take some time, but it will catch up to them one day.

Like my father always says:

“S h i t on a wheel, always comes back around”.

I don’t know Chris but my home insurance has gone from $1100/year to $3700/ year in 9 years. No claims,no addition,no problems at all. No good reasons either, that to me is whatever they feel like.

Yes and that point was discussed with MCS from the get go Charles. I feel that no Home Inspector should pay one Inspection to them once a month when they are not doing anything right.
Certified Master Inspectors should pay half that of a Newbie if not less.

Hopefully they are looking at Alberta and BC now after a couple of years of licensing. Has it improved things for the consumer? More often than not any government intervention tends to hurt the very people they are trying to help.

Of interest
Results of BC Home Inspector Insurance Survey
May 24, 2011

There is plenty of cases where the insurer settles because its expedient and fiscally prudent to do so. As a result, YOU the inspector are painted as a bad risk. Higher premiums, or denial of coverage. Your name and file are on record with the insurers.

Licencing is not going to stop negligence suits against home inspectors. Period.

Licencing is not going to stop Frivolous suits against home inspectors. Period.
I know of a few of these and the insurance company is not your friend .
I know of a few cases where the Insurance settled the home Inspector paid the deductible and had his rates go up and the inspector has ne recourse and not allowed to defend his inspection

Roy, et al - I agree.

I know several instances where E&O was mandatory and with several claims it drove the home inspector out of business. He/they could not get insurance - thus “finito”.

Many claim E&O protects the inspector/business, but it’s hard to discount the fact that it also provides an opportunity to damage claims to compensate the consumer where an inspector is found negligent.

Thanks Claude ,This sure is a strange business .
Home Inspectors are making less money now then I did in 2002.
House prices have gone up and agents working on a commissions are making more money.

See Meritless Lawsuits - Legislation, Licensing, Ethics & Legal Issues - InterNACHI®️ Forum win or loose the Homie suffers big time loss of sleep and some times huge expenses

The misconception towards buyers that they are protected by our insurance,thus turning insurance into a warranty claim is no help. I have turned away many inspections over the last couple of years when I get a creepy feeling on the phone. Usually it’s because they sound like they are reading from one of Mike Holmes scripts. So far in seven years or so no complaints, if the licensing causes me too much grief I will simply close and concentrate on my sign business more, which is doing very well actually.

Inspectors have no one to blame but themselves. When you see inspector websites touting they are covered with E&O making it sound like a warranty, maybe they deserve what results - target on their backs.

Insurance is for protection of the inspector and his assets, not for the benefit of the client. Besides as already stated, plaintiff must launch a suit and its not an automatic payout by insurers as they must review the facts and assess. If it actually gets to court the time frame is 2 years or more!

No sympathy here for those who blatantly advertise it as a warranty.

Just jump right to that step Chuck, I won’t mind. HaHa, Just kidding. We should get that coffee soon.

MCS has nothing to do with insurance rates.

This was before you came along Timothy!
At this time I can see what is happening and I don’t like it. I will continue to expose any Individual or Association that feels they should have control of the Industry that includes Ontarioachi,Cannachi, Nhicc, Oahi, Piphic, Achi, Mike Holmes Group or any organization or training facility with a vested interest to have** control**.

Just don’t want people to be confused. MCS does not have input on insurance rates. I have been around for quite awhile, I am on the panel and I am very informed.

If anyone has questions, I will be happy to answer what I can.

Fair enough Timothy but your group has been nailed for the same thing that OAHI did. Sorry if it hurts but you are part of the problem created already and there is no way to back out now.
I still am glad that you have taken the position to represent InterNachi though and I thank you for this self sacrificing spirit.

From what I have seen there are not enough home Inspectors and too many brass on the panel.
You are extremely important for us and I am glad for us we have you.

Once again so there is no confusion, I represent InterNACHI. When you say “my group” you are referring to every member oft his association. Like many inspectors I do belong to a second association. For me it is OntarioACHI.

Does not hurt, very proud of the work that is being done.

Some see the panel members and believe that it is unfair representation and to a certain degree I agree. But if you have a panel of all like minded individuals, then you would have a consensus immediately. That could be very damaging. A panel like this has to have opposing ideas in order for it to be successful. There will be a lot of give and take and in the end it will be successful.

Thanks Roy, very much appreciated.

I have a condo inspection and then I will catch the train for tomorrow’s panel meeting. Luckily Via has WiFi and I can write my reports on my way to TO.

My wife is 7 months pregnant and luckily very supportive of the work being done. Especially when I go to the panel meeting this week, WETT certification in Toronto next week and the panel meeting again the week after.