Maine Requires A level II Chimney Inspection?

While searching realtor’s I found this statement relating to the sale of real estate.
The State of Maine now requires that homes with chimneys have a Level II inspection done according to NFPA Standard #211. A Level II inspection is a comprehensive inspection including all accessible portions of the chimney, exterior and interior. It includes areas within accessible attics, crawl spaces, and basements and accessible portions of appliance and chimney connections and shall include inspection by video scanning or other means of inspection.

I have not been able to verify this. In fact I have found conflicting info stating that Maine has only adopted partial NFPA 211 standards.

I would like to see state regulation on this.

This of course this brings me to the question of: Are we as Inspectors allowed to perform Level II chimney inspections in Maine or do we have to be certified chimney sweeps. I believe there is no certification requirement for this. in Maine. How about NH? OPEN FOR DISCUSSION. Matt. :wink:

</IMG>

Go here and watch the tutorials at the bottom of the page. I do not have the equipment, training or time to do a Level II and it is doubtful most if any inspectors do those. Typically the chimney has to be cleaning prior to doing the Level II in order to fully see everything that needs to be seen.

Hi. Matt, Here in Maine, the State has adopted Codes and it is left up to each town jurisdiction to either adopt them, ammend them and ratify them to their pleasing.

The example down below is for York, Maine that is close to your area.
I too would be curious of our neighboring states as to what their requirements are.

As you can see for the Town of York, they have adopted the NFPA 211.

Town of York Building Codes for One and Two Family Dwellings This Code is 1995 CABO One and Two Family Dwelling Code amended for the Town of York, Maine and includes all the provisions of that code except as amended or added to by the Town of York. Specifically adopted by reference are NFPA 70A Electrical Code for One- and two-family dwellings 1999 Edition [size=4]*, and NFPA 211, Standard for Chimney, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel Burning Appliances 2000 Edition. ** These standards shall apply to new residential construction, and to additions, alterations, and structures accessory to residential structures. [/size]
Other types of construction, including multi-family dwellings and non-residential structures shall be governed by The International Building Code (IBC)/2003 or the most current edition, the 2003 version of the National Fire Protection 101, Life Safety Code, and NFPA 211, Standard for Chimney, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel Burning Appliances 2003 edition.

York Plumbing Code-[size=4]*** Amends 10-144 Department of Human Services Chapter 238 State of Maine Internal Plumbing Rules Chapter 13: Alternative System of Plumbing- No new buildings may use the Alternative System of Plumbing except for renovations and additions to existing structures already using the Alterative System of Plumbing. [/size]

The administration for these codes shall be as prescribed in the amended 1995 CABO One and Two Family Dwelling Code herein called The Town of York Building Code for One and Two Family Dwellings as Amended through 11/04/03

• NFPA 70A -1999 - Now replaced with NFPA 70 - NEC - 2005 per State of Maine.
    ** NFPA 211 -2000- Now replaced with NFPA 211 – 2003 per State of Maine.
    ***Amended 11/04/03- But as of 01/01/06 it is no longer applicable due to State of Maine Plumbing Code Changes.

Climate & Geographic Design Criteria FOR 1 AND 2 FAMILY DWELLINGS
(AMD)

TABLE 301.2a
CLIMATE AND GEOGRAPHIC DESIGN CRITERIA

WINTER

DESIGN
RADON

WIND
SESMIC
TEMPERATURE
RESISTANT
ROOF
PRESSURE
CONDITION
FOR HEATING
CONSTR.
SNOW LOAD

(pounds per sf)

BY ZONE
FACILITIES
REQUIRED

Optional

within 250’ of the

degrees

Atlantic Ocean

SUBJECT TO DAMAGE FROM

WEATHERING

FROST LINE DEPTH
TERMITE
DECAY
SEVERE
4 FEET
N/A
N/A

FOR ALL OTHER TYPES OF CONSTRUCTION
(AMD)

CLIMATE AND GEOGRAPHIC DESIGN CRITERIA

WINTER

DESIGN
RADON

ROOF

WIND
LOAD
SESMIC
TEMPERATURE
RESISTANT
SNOW LOAD

CONDITION
FOR HEATING
CONSTR.
(pounds per sf)

3SECOND GUST

BY ZONE
FACILITIES
REQUIRED

110 MPH
SEE

Optional

within 250’ of the
CODE

degrees

Atlantic Ocean

100 mph - OTHER

SUBJECT TO DAMAGE FROM

WEATHERING

FROST LINE DEPTH
TERMITE
DECAY
SEVERE
4 FEET
N/A
N/A

Codes Adopted by Reference. State Fire Marshal’s Sprinkler Information Code Department - 363-1002

International Building Code 2003 (2003) Code Department - 363-1002
CABO 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Codes (1995) **** As Amended * *Code Department - 363-1002
NFPA 101, Life Safety Code (2003) Code Department - 363-1002
NFPA 211, Standard Chimney, Fireplace, Vents & Applicances (2003) Code Department - 363-1002

http://www.yorkmaine.org/Portals/0/Skins/York/images/spacer.gif

©2002-2006 Town of York

It’s not just a Maine requirement. If your area recognizes or adopts the NFPA codes, i.e. the NEC, etc then NFPA Std 211 may apply. It does state that a Level II inspection is required upon the sale or transfer of property. See below:

Jeez Marcel…do you think you could possibly post a more confusing, convoluted reply? :stuck_out_tongue: :mrgreen:

Sorry Mike,:slight_smile:

I understood it fine. Must be the system. ha. ha.

Marcel :wink:

Jae (what’s-his-name)

Could probably translate this to Texan. I didn’t understand it either. But in Maine, “you can’t get there from here” at least those were the directions I always got.

Jeez you guys, can’t read French? I didn’t have a problem whatsoever. ha. ha. Well just a little. :wink:

So here read this one. http://www.yorkmaine.org/Default.aspx?tabid=207

Not my fault the preview post don’t print it like it shows. :slight_smile:

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

Hey Barry, I think you are mixing us up with Alaska.
Can’t Get There From Here

Can’t Get There From Here

Juneau is the capital of Alaska, but did you know that you cannot drive there from anywhere?

You can fly into Juneau or you can take a ferry to Juneau, but you can’t actually drive there. There are no roads into Juneau. Can you imagine not being able to drive to the State Capital in the state where you live?

Normally, a lot of business and a lot of government takes place in a state’s Capital. Not having easy access to it would create lots of problems, wouldn’t it? Well, not in Alaska.

In fact, up until a few years ago Juneau was two time zones or more away from the rest of the state. A few years ago Alaska had five time zones. Now we have only two time zones and our Capital is now in the same time zone as most of the state.

Governor Frank Murkowski has a transportation plan that would include the building of a 65 mile road from Juneau to Skagway by the year 2010. That would connect Juneau by road to Anchorage, Fairbanks, and much of Alaska.

Of course, you would have to drive through part of Canada to get to Skagway. Not a big deal, since Canada still likes us.

However, many Alaskans are not too thrilled by the idea of building an expensive road to Juneau. According to Skagway business owner, Jan Wrentmore, “It will be as stupid an idea in 2010 as it is now.”

Part of the issue is that Skagway and Haines depend on the marine ferry system for business, since Skagway and Haines are the northernmost terminus for tourists who want to disembark the ferry and drive. The fear is that Juneau would become the northernmost stopping point for the ferry if a road is built from Juneau to Skagway.

“We lose our status of what we’ve had for 100 years,” said Jan Wrentmore. “It creates a competing port.”

Of course, the rest of Alaska doesn’t really care about the competing port issue. The point is that the rest of Alaska doesn’t really care about the whole issue. Our legislators at the State Capital seem to get along just fine the way things are currently.

Change comes slowly in Alaska and I would guess that this issue will be talked about for a good many more years to come.

If we talk about it long enough, eventually it will become a mute issue. We won’t need a road. Eventually we’ll be able to teleport ourselves to the Capital if we wish.

Beam me up Governor.

Marcel :slight_smile: :wink:

Thanks Marcel…

By the way anyone got a copy of NFPA 211?

Punch that in your browser and it will be viewable.

Other than that, you need to buy it.

Sorry. ha. ha.

I just didnt want to spend the 39 bucks! LOL

Jest joshin’ yuh!!!

I have a (printed) copy. The information here is accurate. It requires visual inspection of the interior flue and is recommended on ANY transfer of real property.

Russell

Does it state anywhere that a certified chimney inspector has to be the one to do a level II chimney inspection? or can we do that?

Matt; I believe the only thing they may have is the purchase price of the printed copy. Item # 21103 Format List Member * Cart PDF $38.00 $34.20 ADD * Become a Member View Cart Check Out More information about NFPA 211 Maine has adopted the NFPA 101, the IBC, and the IRC 2003. Chimney sweeps are licensed in the state and it would be prudent that you recommend referral for their evaluation. There is not a thing that prevents you to mention any thing you might observe to that regard. Marcel

The level II chimney inspection has been on the books for a few years now.

The state has a law but no agency is enforcing it.

Dana

Thanks Dana, that is exactly what I thought also, because I can’t find anything on it for this area other than reference to NFPA.

Thanks