Major vs Material Defect

They go in my report also, but strictly as an information comment.
In fact, being in Minnesota, gutters are typically a greater hindrance on most homes than those without.

images

1 Like

I don’t know about typically. People aren’t going to remove their gutters for the winter season. They just need to be installed with the proper support for our area.

1 Like

IMO… Roughly 9 out of 10 homes that are older than 10 years and have gutter systems, have some degree of damage to the gutter system, mostly from snow/ice, including with gutter straps vs nails/screws. At least that has been my experience.

2 Likes

I see Minnesota gets an average annual 36-70 inches of snowfall, depending on location. We get an average annual 114 inches of snowfall here. I’m not seeing gutters torn off very often. A couple times on buildings with metal roofs, but no snow/ice guards installed on the roof. I put them in as a recommendation as well, but not as a requirement.

4 Likes

I’m not a code inspector.

That is a defect to me

2 Likes

Codes might not require gutters on a home, but if some are installed or partially installed, they should be in a condition that they are functional as designed, and if they are not, it would be considered a defect. So, I am in line with calling it a defect as Larry and others mentioned.

3 Likes

There is one particular defect that is defined in the InterNACHI® Standards of Practice.

And it has an adjective.

I say yes and no. I see plenty of homes without gutters which perform well, therefore no need to comment. If the lack of gutters are having an adverse effect, then I elevate the problem.

Of course, any damaged, loose or clogged gutters as well as improper pitch/drainage is reported.

2 Likes