Minor vs Major Deficiencies

Every opinion helps @bgromicko1 Thanks for the comment.

Some examples?

If an inspector doesn’t help “prioritize” defects, then they’re doing their client a great disservice. I’m not a fan of a “major and minor” classification system (REA created terms), albeit, I do use a “major” category. I use 3 categories in my reports: Secondary, Primary, & Major.

I’m not a big fan of “minor/major” either. I feel like categorizing deficiencies like that persuades a client into thinking what they might not feel is neither major or minor.
But on the other hand I completely understand that the client is paying for a service for which they have very little knowledge of and are looking for some direction.
But I don’t want to hold hands either.

Currently working with a client to purchase a 32 year old home. Overall in nice condition with following noted:
Exterior - Stone, stucco, cedar siding (stucco,maybe 20% of home was inspected August 2018 and found to be without issue). Siding may have been restained once in 32 years.
Windows - Andersen 400 series casement - original
Doors (front entrance door, door from garage and three sliders) all original
Roof - replaced 2010
Heating system replaced 2014

I did not perform a paid inspection on the home, I am a realtor,noted the following and adjusted our offer accordingly (I know the listing agent very well , nice woman, but typical doesn’t have a clue as to what repair and maintenance is all about and discussed why we adjusted the offer). Home is listed at $629K. We offered $550K, with the knowledge going in that we need to make repairs (keep in mind, buyer is a family member so I’m being a little more thorough on the front end). Sellers are oblivious, they just spent $70-80K on a custom kitchen, that’s all they want to focus on.

Exterior front where it returns to meet the door entrance is pulled apart. Daylight visible from basement in that corner. Obviously has been like that for a while. That corner is swelled from taking on water, it will need major repair.

Siding has splits and openings where knots are missing. Caulking / sealant is missing at just about every exterior corner and penetration. No kickouts installed, siding adjacent to those areas was saturated after a rain. These are major defects.

Siding all across rear of home gets full exposure, it was very dry and soft. On subsequent visit I took along my moisture meter, it was 4-5% moisture, this was 24 hours after it rained. Probably about 10-15% of the siding requires immediate replacement due to splitting. This is major defect.

Front beds are built up to bottom of wood siding/foundation top plate. We haven’t even performed a formal inspection to determine if any damage to framing (band board) but suspect from experience to expect repair. This had been like this for decades.

Kitchen was redone as I explained earlier, two cracked tiles directly in front of slider off kitchen. My gut, original slider, deck right off the slider, subfloor is possibly weak due to poor flashing/install at time of installation. If I’m correct, this is major defect.

Any structural issue (foundation, framing), detail that allows water infiltration, electrical violation, safety hazzard, plumbing problem, HVAC system issue, these are major defects. Windows that do not operate correctly, inconvenience, but major safety defect if in bedroom and do not allow egress.

That’s how I look at it

1 Like

Per the Penna Seller Disclosure

I used to believe that as well until I was advised differently by my attorneys, early in my career.

Our job is to “identify” defects, not to “prioritize” defects.

3 Likes

I would say a missing cricket flashing for a 32inch chimney is a major defect and a hairline crack on a chimney crown is a minor defect.

How do you go about determining what a DIY’er or potential buyer is capable of? Heck, there are many a “contractor” that isn’t qualified of even the most simplist of tasks!! IMO, to be ‘judging’ someones abilities is a very slippery slope to be going down.

5 Likes

There’s always a judgment call to make. All defects may not carry same gravity as I gave in my examples. Some need more emphasis and some need not be emphasized. Even if you decided to get a contractor for a hairline crack on a chimney crown, the fact is that it remains a minor fix and a minor defect to me. I wouldn’t think a homeowner without some kind of special training would take on a cricket chimney flashing installation. The idea is to flow on the importance and urgency of defects. All defects are not equal.

Interesting. So, do you provide a summary report?

I do, yes. All defects are included in the summary.

As Jeff P said, what may be major to one person may be minor to another.

I’ve seen people freak out over bad shower diverter, and I’ve seen people happily buy a house that was no longer sitting on it’s foundation.

Context can also be a key.

In a fixer upper that you know going in needs major work, bad caulking around the tub is the least of anyone’s worries.

Now, if you’re in a high end luxury condo where everything is nearly perfect, bad caulking around the tub sticks out like a sore thumb.

As as Jonas said, you have to know the clients expectations.

An investor buying a fixer isn’t paying you to point out the bad caulking (though it will be the report anyway).
The person buying new construction or a newly remodeled flip IS paying you point out the bad caulking.

2 Likes

I try to identify major defects (structural items, plumbing leaks, electrical violations, roofing problems, similar); items near end of life cycle ; items requiring regular maintenance. Hard to do at times, our job is to ID problems and educate the buyer. I’m a lot more critical than many people in real estate. Not that I’m that particular, I just know first hand what it costs to get into a property and incur unexpected expense.

Unfortunately, I’m not getting a lot of referrals that I would hope to get because many realtors that know me, know that I am thorough. Most don’t want to know the truth, they all say the same thing “don’t be a deal killer”. Don’t even get me started on that. Personally, I think the entire real estate profession should change to a model where real estate professionals need to become proficient in construction, building codes and become certified like an inspector. 95%+ of realtors would disappear.

2 Likes

I bought a duplex years ago that cost me over $100,000 in 4.5 years of issues that happened inside the walls and under the foundation. I like to be as thorough as I possibly can, not to be super picky about minimal things but to let the client know what the condition is of the house.
Plus it’s “good for negotiations” :joy::sunglasses:
The real estate market where I am is criminally over priced.

2 Likes

Sounds like you got screwed over by your inspector!! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Interesting. All defects are in the summary. All, without distinction?

Distinction?

I list items as safety issues, improper installation, non-functional and a host of other “distinctions,” but I don’t list one as more important than the other.

4 Likes

Whatever you do, make sure you have your policy on major vs minor in writing and use it on every inspection. Use your state’s legal definition first (if there is one), then nachi or one you have created yourself. I would be wary of using the RE industry’s definition or a seller’s disclosure form definition unless it was written by the state–those things were written by RE lobbyists/attorneys who are out to protect their licensees, not us.

Make sure the definition you use is in writing in some documentation you provide the client (links would be okay too).

Before this, I was a cop. We were always told by prosecutors to write reports for the jury (vs supervisors, victims, prosecutors, the news, etc). When you write for a panel of X amount of lay people that know nothing of what law enforcement or the law really is, then your reports are simple to understand, concise, and get to the point–you focus on communicating to people who don’t get it and need to be educated. No technical jargon, abbreviations, and no acronyms. No one likes to look up what “MM” in your report means. Just spell it out.

I don’t do the major vs minor either as it’s just caused too many problems in the past. If its wrong, its wrong and they can decide what they want to do with it. But also I let them know that up front with a form I provide. Having paper to refer to is invaluable. It also makes it more “official” and not subject to change or pressure by the agent or client at the inspection site.

Again, make sure whatever you do, you do the same way every time. The plaintiff’s attorney can get access to any and all reports you have ever written–not just the one the case is about. You may have changed opinions over time (use to call X condition minor, took a class and now I realize its major b/c of something I learned), and that’s okay, but make sure you document when and why the change happened. Email to yourself in a gmail-type account which never self-deletes is a good way to make these notes–plus its time/date stamped.

I also inspected homes I own, created reports, and gave them to people who know nothing of construction to have a look and critique. The responses were invaluable. Its a good way to see if you are getting your message across. If the people you give them to can’t understand what you are talking about in the report than neither can your client.

3 Likes

If it appears in the inspection report as a deficiency, it is that.
I do not make the distinction of major vs minor.
Major to one person, may be minor to another.

As an example, I went through a laundry list of deficiencies pertaining to an electrical system on a home.
When I was done, the Client said, “Wow, you really know your stuff! I am an electrician, and I’ll take care of all of that stuff”. My response, “This information would have been helpful 15 minutes ago”!

1 Like