What Constitutes a major

I have a few questions about major deficiencies in your reports. Do you all say what is a major? And if you do, what guidelines do you use in order to make an item a major. Also, has anyone considered just doing an inspection and letting the realtors hash out what the majors are?
Thanks!
Gloria

I consider any repair over $500 as a major repair.

I have to agree with Greg. Also if it a safety item.

I care less what the agents Do I give my report .

Major is life threating like a gas leak or spindle gap in railing,
Major is a roof that could leak in the next rain storm,
Major is a wall that could fall down at any time,
Major is no TPR valve on a water heater tank,
Marjor could be many more .

If it needs immediate repair or replacement then its MAJOR.

just to add a little to Roy’s post, many minor defects, if not corrected immediately, can, and usually do, lead directly to major problems.

I don’t differentiate. I point out the items in the home that are not functioning as intended, improperly installed, broken, damaged,amateur installation, nearing the end of their useful life, etc., and let the buyer I am working for make an informed decision.

I don’t differentiate between major and minor repairs- it’s all relative. . .

This is what we have thought about doing, because a buyer may point out something they want to have fixed but the response of the realtor is “Its not in the major summary” Yet another realtor said they would not use an inspector who did not summerize their inspections as major and minor. I would love some more input.

The ultimate decision rests with the buyer about what they can and can not live with. Some buyers don’t mind significant issues because the house is just what they want in a location they want, while others will walk away over seemingly small issues.

Major is in the eye of the buyer. To some Realtors, nothing is major.

I care less what the agent wants I do every inspection as if it was for my Daughter .

Some things will need improvement at some time in the future and that is how I write .
I use a check list that has in order .

P Provide
R repair or replace
F further evaluation required
I improve
M monitor.

This is the Carson Dunlop system and it has stood the test of time in my books.
I have done many inspections three years later on the same home and some things have been done and many have not .
Did One yesterday that I wrote up that the guard rails on the Deck needed immediate repair or replacement as it had Bars running side ways for guards . Just perfect for little people to climb .
I Checked R and also wrote
( Rails are a climbing hazard need immediate repair or replacement) .
Never done .
Write hard talk soft and miss nothing .
Yes I could have been sued but I tell people that I have CRA
( Cover Roy’s A$$)

As a rule of thumb, a major item is an item that has failed or has the potential of failing soon. Then, there are safety items, items not operating and deferred cost items, for me in my report.

Major is relative. If the property is a falling down shack and the buyers knows it, nothing may be major.

I try to be very selective as what I include as major as I do not want people to stop reading at the cover. If I do mention something, I always include a statement to read the rest of the report.

Do you have a cost limit? For instance the cost of replacing a leaking roof would be significantly more than a window that is broken.

Never in writing as it can change so much in what they want .
Example in our area shingles could be for a bungalow $4,000:00 and steel roof $12;000:00
A kitchen can vary from $1,500:00 to $20,000:00+.
I do give my idea verbally because many are moving from Toronto and new shingles there Could have cost $15,000:00 do to no access to back yard and many homes are two or three stories high.

Major & Minor have to do with the value of the defect, I currently use $500 as the line of demarcation but I am seriously thinking about moving it to $1000.

What is minor to you may be considered major to them. I had a lady once who refused to buy a home if the lock on the bathroom door was not repaired. To her it was a MAJOR repair, as she didnt want anyonw walking in while she was on the throne. Cost of repair: $75.00. Thought of seeing her on the throne: Priceless.

Not really but a drawer glide isn’t going to get it.

I use the following catagories:

Requries repair or replacement
Saftey Issues
Maintenance Issues
Monitor
Not inspected and why

I just report it and let the client deciede if it is a major item, because everyone has a different view between major and minor even amoung husban and wife. Its not the purpose of a home inspection to make that determination.

The words minor or major never enter a real estate contract in this state. There is a dollar amount set in the contract between buyer and seller if the dollar amount for repairs exceed the contract amount the buyers have the right to walk away from the contract and have their earnest money returned.

Or they can return to the negotiation table and re-negotiate the contract or except the home with repairs being performed up to the agreed dollar amount; their choice.
Major or minor is not determined by me. I just list the repairs not performing its intended function. The buyer has to make that decision.

The most popular dollar amount stated in a real estate contract in this area is $500.00 Out of 2000 inspections I probally have had 4 inspections that did not exceed that amount.

Those minor things that they never deal with can turn into a major repair
very quickly. I tell my clients they all need attention, some now and some ASAP.

I told one lady that the electric panel had wrong size wires and the Realtor told
her it was no big deal. The house almost burn down the next week.

It’s those little leaks that reveal so much damage a few months later… etc…