Mold Dogs

Is anyone using mold dogs. I have 33 years of training police dogs (retired) but I know what they can do.

Could a dog really be trained to do this? Mold is every where. It’s not a matter **if **mold exists in the house, it’s a matter of how much there is. Could a dog differentiate between trace amounts and amounts above recommended guidelines?

They’re very accurate. I’ve been involved in two jobs in the last 6 months that involved mold dogs. This particular environmental consultant has trained weimerheimers, “How ever you spell that breed of dog”. I found black discoloring, possible mold growth along the kitchen cabinet kick of this property. Buyer’s enlisted the dogs. The guy shows up with (2) and turns them loose. (1) upstairs and (1) down stairs. Both the dogs begin to bark immediately, referring to the presence of mold. He then takes physical tape samples or interior wall air samples. Of the 8 locations the dogs barked at, 7 came back as positive for mold in abnormally high spore counts. The lower level dog actually jumped up onto the kitchen counter and started barking at the wall/ceiling joint. They later found out that the roof had been leaking into the wall cavity. He also tolds us that dogs are now being trained to find live cancer cell growths in humans, (I believe he said beagles are being used for the cancer program).

There was a documentary on Discovery yesterday concerning mold dogs, cancer dogs, search and rescue dogs, etc. Very interesting.

I’d love to have a Mold & Termite dog. Heck, why not a dog that can sniff whether a house has insulation in the walls or not.

Here’s a couple of interesting articles…

http://www.mold-dog.com/about_us_detail.htm

http://www.mold-consultants.com/sniffingdog.php

They had termite dogs, moisture dogs, and cocaine/drug dogs on the program. With the dog’s sense of smell, one can probably train them to detect just about anything.

I thought the cancer dogs were the most interesting.

Wow, very interesting indeed.

How about “bad agent” sniffing dogs.:twisted:

Ok, I’m sorry. But I couldn’t resist.:cool:

Hey Patrick!

No need for a dog to sniff them out…

Hey David;

I have a buddy here in California who owns Roadrunner Exterminating, he tells me they’ll soon be using thermal imaging to perform termite inspections… Do you know anything about the system or is it way in the future?

Thermal imaging is here. However, the price is high. It’s not for the general consuming public yet. When the price comes down to where plasma televisions are now, then the general public might be more interested in it.

Will,

I can tell you that significant wood destroying insect activity can definitely be detected using this technology due to the heat generated by active infestations. Active termite activity produces a great deal of heat that is often visible to the infrared camera. Minor activity may not be quite as detectable but areas not normally visible to the naked eye can be identified, and then a more invasive or technically exhaustive inspection can be carried out by the appropriate professional.

I’ll be attending a seminar this Thursday morning at 8:00AM. I’ll post my thoughts and feelings (here)](Free infrared inspection clinics for NACHI members. - Inspection Education & Training - InterNACHI®️ Forum) of this technology when I return.

If any inspectors want a Mold and/or Termite dog, I will train and cert. one alot cheaper than any other trainer.

I think every dog is a natural born tick/flea dog. They always seem to find them:)

I have a weim and a beagle. The only way they would find mold is if it was growing on a hot dog!

Actually there is a mold dog in the South Orange County area (in California).

My understanding is they have to be re-certified every 6 months.

hi…i am in the Pittsburgh Pa area and thinking about getting a mold dog,would anyone be interested in this type of service…ty Paul

There is a mold dog in North San Diego County, too. I think it’s in Oceanside. I have not heard about re-certification. I didn’t even know they had to be certified. Maybe Nick has a hand in this?

We have a guy in our area, working under a company called Mold Pro. I have seen the dog work and it is impressive. BUT, is the dog a licensed and qualified mycologist. Not really.

i am in pittsburgh pa…and thinking about getting one for inspections in my area

hi… i am in pittsburgh pa and have started an inspection service using a mold dog…our website iswww.k9moldservice.com

More importantly, this certification - are they just certified, or do they have to do a number of jobs as a “K9 candidate” first?
Can the pooch take an online exam, or do they have to be proctored???:wink: