Mortgage rates climbing

WOW … thats right about where it was when I got out of HS about 60 yrs ago, BUT not as high as it was in “82-83” when it hit 16%. At 15% - 16% they still bought (actually it was a feeding frenzy because buyers were scared shitless it was gonna keep going).

Rates were higher than that in 1970-93. I was paying a variable rate of 11-14% on a home loan in 1974

1 Like

This is about as bad of conditions possible for home sales… spiking rates and a week before an election.

2 Likes

Between April 1971 and October 2024, 30-year fixed-rate mortgages averaged 7.73% .

Yeah, but the ridiculously low rates in recent years have allowed prices to creep up to the point that houses are no longer affordable to many. We’ve basically backed ourselves into a corner that’s going to take a long time to get out of.

4 Likes

2025 not off to a good start…

Not a good start for interest rates, but as far as inspections go, I can’t remember a busier January, my phone has been blowing up. I hope the business keeps coming.

There’s been a lot of pent up demand and I’m thinking people are just tired of waiting for rates to go down.

3 Likes

That’s great Kevin! My market is still dead but I’m keeping my phone charged just in case… :thinking: :wink:

3 Likes