NACHI convention raffle...

:twisted::twisted::twisted:Many of us were the proud winners of one of the many of the great prizes. However, once the raffle event was over nobody could tell (NACHI staff) were to pickup the prize or who was the vendor that donate the prize, or how to go about picking up your prize… Despite of many questions & e-mails, I do not have an answer to my question regarding the RADON starter kit that I won. Any staff member has a clue??? Nick any idea? I hope that this was not another gooffyyyyyy…mess-up of the convention…

Nick, what happen to the NACHI girls this year along with the nachos…
Nevertheless, the education part of the convention was outstanding. A good job there Nick, the rest go figure… I hope to get an answer???:wink:

I think I saw the NACHETTE’s:shock:

cowgirl.jpg

naughtyschoolbob.jpg

The NACHETTEs were last seen on I-95 North with the F-150 full of NACHOS and a 12 pack of beer.

I think the answer is **over **obvious but as we said at the raffle (which I ran at the SuperBowl party), contact the prize offerer (not NACHI) to claim your prize. In other words, if you won PRO-LAB’s 30 days of unlimited lab analysis at no charge, contact PRO-LAB: http://www.nachi.org/reliablelab.com If you won one of the ten 1-year Alternate Dispute Resolution Services contact ADRS http://www.nachiadrs.com and so on…

The only door prizes NACHI gave was a free website to not only all attendees but all members and a truck. Everyone can get their free website at www.InspectorPages.com (this was a previously unannounced, additional door prize as we just got it built in time for the convention) and the Ford F-150 truck which is at http://www.nachi.org/f150giveaway.htm

Great answer Nick…, but if you do not know who was the sponsor of the prizes, then how in the worlddddddddd you can contact the vendor. You were on top of the world(table) calling numbers/winners during the SuperBowl party and your staff was collecting the winning tickets. Theafter, they lost the list or could not recall what happen, the computer went down, the list holder has not shown up yet, come back later… we open at 1:00PM…excuses + excusesssss = ??? i contacted all the RADON companies I could and nobody had a clue so go check it out. What was the point to gather our information when the ticket was rendered??

So who is responsible for the biggest event in the HI business?? Guess who is that…the great Nick. With all do respect my friend somebody either snatch the prize or it was just another stunt…like the Nachos and the 4.50 cup of coffee. Maybe the Ford 150 is carrying the SuperBowl prizes.

Afterall, it is a lesson learned… Maybe next year.

Great answer Nick…, but if you do not know who was the sponsor of the prizes, then how in the worlddddddddd you can contact the vendor. You were on top of the world(table) calling numbers/winners during the SuperBowl party and your staff was collecting the winning tickets. Theafter, they lost the list or could not recall what happen, the computer went down, the list holder has not shown up yet, come back later… we open at 1:00PM…excuses + excusesssss = ??? i contacted all the RADON companies I could and nobody had a clue so go check it out. What was the point to gather our information when the ticket was rendered??

So who is responsible for the biggest event in the HI business?? Guess who is that…the great Nick. With all do respect my friend somebody either snatch the prize or it was just another stunt…like the Nachos and the 4.50 cup of coffee. Maybe the Ford 150 is carrying the SuperBowl prizes.

Afterall, it is a lesson learned… Maybe next year. :shock::shock:
-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X

The door prizes are and have been (for weeks) listed at www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm as are the vendors/sponsors who offered them as are live links to their websites so you can contact them if you won a prize from them.

Obviously NACHI is not a lab or a software company and so can’t provide other company’s door prizes direct. If you won a prize, contact the vendor who is supplying the prize. Again, I think this goes without saying.

The only door prizes NACHI gave was a free website to not only all attendees but all members, and a truck. Everyone can get their free website at www.InspectorPages.com (this was a previously unannounced, additional door prize as we just got it built in time for the convention) and the Ford F-150 truck which is at http://www.nachi.org/f150giveaway.htm

RTCA is giving away a radon starter kit.

Some of the venders I talked to pulled some of the giveaways off due to the attendace. Some say it was only around 500 and they were told over 1,500 were to show, they were very unhappy… so I would say next years list will be even smaller (or booth cost way lower) and as for the door prizes well we all know about that. Good luck everyone.

Why not do the door prizes over with the truck give away?

hmmm…I was told nearly 2,000 people attended…hmmm…so did it atleast have as good a turn out as the great NAHI…:slight_smile:

The door prize ship has sailed - call the vendors (the list is still on the Convention website).

Considering it is an ancillary feature of the convention (and I didn’t win any!!) I am willing ot let it slide, but would implore the guys and gals at HQ maybe to open the process up somewhat and (i kow, here I go again) create a plan that lists specific to do (action) items, so that - before things fall through the cracks - they can ask for help with specific, bite sized pieces that members can assist with.

I would have been more than happy to create a checklist of the prizes and keep track of what was offered, given away and facilitate collection, but I had no idea it needed to be done.

Just one example. I know it is a work in progress, but I am begging for at least some tiny consideration of a written plan for the event as well as the organization.

One of the problems was that 650 additional inspectors showed up unexpectedly that never registered… we had some sneak-ins too. Which accounts for despite having 6 big classrooms running both day and night on 2 different floors for 5 days!.. every classroom was still mostly packed.

You can’t stuff 15 pounds of seed into a 10 pound sack.

Like I said - it is a work in progress and unexpected bumps in teh road are a part of the learnning curve of a putting on a special event of this size.

Use the knowledge for next year and plan accordingly. The key word being “plan”!

You can’t stuff 15 pounds of seed into a 10 pound sack.
[/quote]

Nick;

If anyone can, you can. :cool:

With all due respect to all, Nick & Chris were up to 4AM to create FREE NACHI websites for 8,000 members. Did you see the pic of Chris with the can blocking his face? That was the scene.

As far as prizes go, realize that it was announced when it would happen. Granted, not everyone could be there.

Having been involved with 5,000+ attendee Expos for 3 years in the past, I recognized that the NACHI office staff were simply overwhelmed with all that was going on in a 1,200 convention. Many members - and I won’t even go into names here - stepped up to the plate when they saw a gap in the proceedings. Without a doubt, many more will pitch in, next year.

As this is only the 2nd convention, and not run by a professional conventioneer, I’d say it went quite well.

My only regret is that I left Colorado before having had the opportunity to be an active participant / planner in the '06 convention.

I intend, with NACHI HQ’s permission, to volunteer even more actively in the '07 convention. I respectfully suggest that my fellow members consider what squares they can fill, and volunteer to ensure that all the areas they see as needing improvement, are improved. We are all on the same team, so let’s work together for the betterment of all concerned.

As it has been said, if you are not part of the solution, . . . .

Russ,
I think your intentions are great. If no one on the staff identifies problems with which members can assist, then they cannot complain about being overwhelmed.

A good plan prevents most of the problems you identify, and can present a way to deal with unexpected problems.

I don’t lay this at the membership’s feet. Many members can and do volunteer - if the need is communicated, my experience is that NACHI members step to the plate. No need was communicated to me (before, during, or after) and no one ever asked for assistance (before, during or after).

A also would like to be part of the planning for '07 - I do not recall any opportunity being presented to particiapte as a planner for this years event.

Nice event, and a work in progress. As with all things NACHI, better planning is needed.

“A also would like to be part of the planning for '07 - I do not recall any opportunity being presented to particiapte as a planner for this years event.”

Same here. I was only supposed to be there to help Joel do the name badges!

Well guys,

Contact Nick and/or Aimee. Let them know you want to get actively involved in next years event. Make sure you put your plan together and try to stick to it. Just be ready with a Plan “B” and a Plan “C” and keep something in reserve just in case you need it. Get ready to start next month and be prepared to give up many hours of prime time for planning, education, vendors, and site preparation.

I will happily relinquish my role for the last two years to someone who wants it and will see it through until completed.

Paul

Paul,

It isn’t a matter of asking anyone to reliquish roles, or indicating that a poor job was done by anyone. It is just a matter of doing a post-mortem on this event, setting objectives for next year and starting to create a list of action items.

To my knowledge, no one ever reached out to the membership at large to ask for help, assign additional tasks, etc.

Every event I have ever been a part of has an event committee charged with every phase. These committees have subcommittees, charged with the major categories of the event (PR, set up, vendors, etc). Committees meet monthly beginning with the week after the event, as do subcommittees (encouraged to meet more regularly as necessary). The closer the event, the more regular the meetings.

Yes, it is very time consuming, bu thte committee approach allows action items to be identified and assigned to a variety of members to break the tasks into small, manageable chunks.

This is the part where I think NACHI usually comes up a little short. Effective planning would identify the tasks, and everyone would know what needs to be done and what dealines are set. They would also know who is in chage of what aspects so that there is someone to refer to for each part of the event and event process.

This process does not ususally develop over night and takes a lot of work ,but the structure and consistency it provides is worth it. Obviously, this event is in its infancy and more effective planning at this point will ensure future success, ease tension on those most closely involved with running it, and will incorporate more of the membership (allowing a sense of accomplishment and contribution.)

It should be noted that many volunteers will talk a big game and come up short, but involving more people usually means that there are more people to rely on to pick up the pieces and adapt on the fly.

Again, don’t take this as a call to oust the previous planners. Rather, it is a suggestion for how we might improve the convention. The bigger it gets, the more unweildy it will become.

Joe

Not taken that way at all. Contact Nick or Aimee directly and let them know you want to get involved. Don’t wait to be invited, which may not happen, becuase this bb is taking a bazillion posts and messages get lost or hard to find.

All I am saying is go directly to the source and request to be part of the planning committee.

Paul