NAHI's new low.

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

icon_evil.gif

I know that there are a few of us that have dual memberships in NAHI and NACHI.

I was appalled about the recent email Mallory sent out on the NAHI forum. It brought out a bit of news on from several years back. It was out of the blue, and totally irrelevant. I never thought that she or anyone at NAHI would stoop to such a low level. That confirmed my decision NOT to renew my membership to NAHI.

For me, it’s NACHI and only NACHI.

Ed Porter

Cornerstone Home Inspection Services

Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Mr. Hagarty,

Here is the exact text of NAHI’s email:

"Subject: EPA Trouble

From the Pennsylvania EPA Office Newsletter

Allegheny County Enforcement Actions

Shadyside Man Sentenced to 10-20 Years for Illegal Dumping
. . . . . . . . Sept. 8, 2000

Blasting Suspended at Allegheny County Quarry
. . . . . . . . Sept. 1, 2000

DEP Finds Minor Violations at Streets Run Logging Sites
. . . . . . . . August 25, 2000

HEARING BOARD UPHOLDS RADON ENFORCEMENT ACTION
. . . . . . . . May 19, 2000
The Environmental Hearing Board on April 27 upheld DEP's decision
to deny radon testing certification of an Allegheny business and its
owner. In 1998, DEP denied the radon testing certification
application by Nick Gromicko and his company, Sunn Radon, after
inspections showed Gromicko's company installed radon mitigation
systems improperly and never corrected. DEP found 50 violations in 30
homes inspected. The department assessed Gromicko a civil penalty of
$14,576."

Please email with any questions.

--
Ed Porter
Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

, not the other way around. I took them to the environmental hearing board, they didn’t take me.

Watch out Joe Hagarty, you're next. NAHI's is publishing your divorce papers from your ex wife! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Nick

Originally Posted By: rpasquier

That is just political lowball, that is just plain slimy, I expect this stuff from politicians, not from non-profit professional organizations.

That is just insane, glad I made the decision I made.

I stay away from lowball organizations, and that is about as low as you can go.

NACHI is it for me, no other organization will do.

Originally Posted By: jremas

Was this an email directly from NAHI “official” or from another NAHI member? Why would they share OLD information anyway? Under what context or reason did whoever provide that info???

Hope someone can answer all the questions.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

It is a similar reaction to what happened several years ago when piles of ASHI members didn’t renew and instead joined NACHI.

For the most part, NACHI is somewhat made up of ASHI or ex-ASHI members. We had almost no NAHI or ex-NAHI members up until about 5 months ago.

Things changed recently. We picked up a bunch of NAHI veteran inspectors. My inside source tells me that NAHI's renewal rate is under 40% now. Of those that aren't renewing, nearly none are going to ASHI, they are coming here.

NAHI must realize that I can't stop their members from joining NACHI. I don't have a gun to their head ordering them to join NACHI. We are all free men (oops, I mean people).

![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Nick

That is what I don’t get. It was Mallory (exec director) that posted this with no apparent reason. What I posted above is EXACTLY what was in the email. Nothing more, nothing less.

That is the first time I have seen Nick’s name brought up in the NAHI circle, and I have been a member (was) for a year and a half.

Just weird.

--
Ed Porter
Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Its not weird. Its pathetic.

Nick should ask her what the intent was in putting out this e-mail. Inquiring minds want to know!

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Let NAHI go. Forget about them.

As some of you may remember, I killed the deal to buy out NAHI because I felt it wasn't right to their own members (to wake up one day and be NACHI).

With less than 600 renewing members, I'm glad we didn't end up buying them out.

I wish their good members well.

Turn the other cheek.

Nick

Originally Posted By: ekartal

I didn’t think it was proper. I also left NAHI today.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: rjonson

I will be one of those NAHI members that does not renew my memberhsip icon_evil.gif . There was no good reason for this NAHI posting, seems like a very poor attempt to discredit the NACHI organization, probably due to the poor NAHI retention of members and the incredible growth of NACHI. There are several reasons for me not renewing with NAHI, but this latest event was the overall deciding factor. I intend to be a lifelong member of NACHI .

Originally Posted By: gsutterfield

Nick

Just curious ,how old are you ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif) Seems like you have had many irons in the fire during your lifetime

I hope we don't find out you had an affiliation with Nations hazard

Just kidding

I’ll be 42 in May, but I started working nearly full time at age 12. Don’t pity me… I love to work.

If you asked me to come with you to the Super Bowl or help you plow your field... I'd choose the latter. That actually happened to me once and I chose the Farmall. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif) I had much more fun.

Nick

PS I was in the year-round, dry, shredded topsoil business with an old Case CK for those who can remember what a CK is.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Rand,

How many members does NAHI have?

That was an interesting post, I always thought of the NAHI members as staying neutral, well at least till now. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Joe,

The last I read (found on the NAHI Website) the membership of NAHI was +1300 members.

Rand,

Did you like you membership with NAHI? Did they offer you anything for your membership fees?

Much of what I hear from the other associations is that the local guys (local chapter members) are where you really get the help you need and not from the national association itself.

I am kinda getting the impression that this was the last straw in your case which changed your opinion that caused you not to renew your membership. Did something else happen that led up to this being the "last straw"?

Joe Myers

Joe,

my situation is just as you said in your last post. There isn't much of a NAHI presence in my area, so I don't get local support. However, I have talked with other NAHI members in other areas that have had a very good experience with their local NAHI Chapters. I initially joined NAHI because of their "inspector friendly" attitude. I suppose you can't expect to get anything out of something if you don't put much into it, all I really put in was my membership dues.

Rand,

That makes good sense to me, certainly you can not get much from nothing and the local inspectors do make the association.

I don't really think you could have given much more than dues though, since there just are not any NAHI inspectors around you.

Anyway, welcome to NACHI. I trust you will find you stay here both informative and helpful.

We have had some good experienced veterans come over from ASHI and NAHI and have become regular contributers to the message board. Other than that we have many of their lurkers which pitch in every now and again to help out our members.

I believe one of the best attributes of NACHI is that we allow all to come here, some even put in their two cents every now and again. I don't think many other associations can state they allow all inspectors to come and voice their opinion, whether they are members or not.

Joe Myers

Joe,

Thank you. I totally agree with you and appreciate your comments. I joined NACHI early last fall, and have already benefited from this association. I usually just read and absorb all the information shared on this forum, but had to voice my feelings when someone decided to maliciously attack Nick. I appreciate all he has done for this organization, as well as all of the other contributors. Thank you.