New Extend & Climb Ladder

Harlem?..

No, I mean, I remember only 5 members in the Village People. When did they add the sixth guy?

Not sure why you remember 5, but take a look at:

The man on the right is Alex Briley

I grew up in the 70’s and distinctly remember there being 5 village people. I did not know their personal names but I remember the cop, the cowboy, the biker, the construction worker and the Indian only. I have no recollection of the military guy at all.

Bet you didn’t remember there being 94+ genders either, did you??

3 Likes

You got that right. Only two that I remember.

2 Likes

I use the telescoping ladder that will go 16 feet.its light weight and handy inside ant out. I can carry it under one arm.

2 Likes

I look at pictures of the house online to decide which ladders to take.

I have the 16 ft Extend and climb and I use it the most. It is lightweight and super compact so it is easy to transport.
I also have the Werner Mt-13, and mt-22, and LG Quantum 17 with the wheels. The multi-position ladders are heavier, but very versatile. I like the LG design the best of the multiposition ladders. The ergonomics of the locks and handles are better, for me.

For taller houses I have Werner extension ladders in 28, 32 and 36 ft varieties. I have only used the 36 ft once on a home inspection, but I have used it a lot on construction and maintenance work.

If I had to choose just one ladder, I’d say the Extend and Climb telescoping would be my favorite. If you had one of those and a MT-22 you could safely reach most roofs and attic hatches.
I only need the extension ladders less than 5% of the inspections since most of the tall houses have a deck that can reach the roof with one of the compact ladders.

I love my Xtend and Climb.

I’m interested in this ladder.

1 Like

When do you take out the pole cam?

Yeah. I have a 17’ lil giant. The spread feet can get in the way of some attic hatches. There are times I’d prefer something narrow and lightweight to carry up stairs and maneuver up into the space. Partly because I have injured discs, but also because it would be easier to move it around without damaging the seller’s home or belongings.

For the light houses while standing on his 36’ extension ladder, eh Bert? LOL

I use the pole camera on most jobs, just to get some nice pictures of the house. Sometimes, I can’t safely get on the roof (rain or snow) so the camera pole is used to inspect the roof.

2 Likes

I use the pole camera frequently also Bert. I especially like it for inspecting the tops of those tall chimneys.

3 Likes

Yes, I do too. I’m short, so that happens often to me :rofl:

Even when I get on the roof, I find a lot of chimneys are taller than me so having a camera on a stick is a good way to make sure, for example, water is not pooling up there as I found recently.

Nothing beats a drone for “wow” factor though.

Being able to get a camera up high is useful, but I like to get my boots on the roof and lift some shingles and flashings, check for underlayment and drip edge, feel soft spots underfoot, and so much more. If it is safe to do so.

2 Likes

I’m afraid they’re pretty much all made in China now, Jeff. And the ones that aren’t have to compete with the Chinese and who knows what the labor and material price challenges are? And the sacrifices any American manufacturers have to make to stay competitive?

The Xtend & Climb rep sent me the following information on maintaining telescoping ladders and said this applies to all telescoping ladders, not just Xtend & Climb.

I’ll repost this here since it’s relevant.
Xtend the Life of the Ladder.pdf (638.6 KB)

1 Like

I had the pleasure of a phone conversation with Russ and we discussed telescoping ladders and he mentioned that he maintained it as per the Xtend & Climb recommendations, but at that point I didn’t know to ask if he performed the “base bump” that is designed to ensure that the internal locking mechanisms stay aligned. His fall was a while back and that procedure may not have been recommended then.

1 Like

He may not have Kenton. It is an important step to take. I notice in sub-freezing temperatures-especially if it is snowing/sleeting, that some sections may not lock in. That makes the bump test imperative.

1 Like

You have to be smarter than what you are working with.

Can’t argue with that, Roy!