New home inspector in the making?

Originally Posted By: James Fuller
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello all and thanks for the wealth of information that is posted on this site! The amount of information here is mind boggling. I have been in the housing field/new construction/repair for over 15 years and have a journeyman plumbers license. I have taken the NACHI online inspectors exam and PASSED! (I know, woohoo to me) I am seriously interested in becoming a Home Inspector but don’t want to represent myself as “Certified” or a expert at it until I feel that I have the much needed training other than “life experiences” training. Are there other courses offered that can better qualify me to this end result? I also have a very good relationship with most of the realtors in my area and my “favorite” realtor has no problem putting me to work now! I don’t like to work hard, but work SMART! And that includes being fully trained. Any help would be most appreciated. I am going to join NACHI as I feel that this is a valid and highly respectable organization. From reading the posts here and the advice given, I feel that I would be very welcome here. Now the stupid question, what is E&O insurance?

Respectfully,
James Fuller
Hendersonville, Tennessee

Originally Posted By: rmoore

James Fuller wrote:
what is E&O insurance?

About $3500 James. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Unfortunately that is about the price. It's Errors and Omissions insurance. General Liability, which you should also have and is far cheaper, covers you against things like dropping through the ceiling and landing on the realtor while on the premises. E & O is professional liability insurance and covers you (after a hefty deductible) for missing things that might get you sued after the inspection. For instance...you didn't report that the roof was missing and 6 months later it rains for the first time.

Take a look at insurance by clicking on the Useful Links and Affiliates link in the left menu or try www.frea.com or www.allenins.com.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jrooff

James, Do it right and you will be just fine. I also have a number of years in construction (30yr) 15 as GC & still and had a plumbers licence too.

A) Become a member of NACHI.

1. Get Certified- AHIT was great for me but check out a few and go for it. I went with the home study course.

2. Get your E&O ins. a must, protect yourself. As a member of NACHI you will be able to down load the "AGREEMENT"

3. While waiting for E&O to go through start ordering Business cards, Brochures, and work up a marketing plan.

4. Plan to keep your day job and work your way in, not unless you have a nice big bank roll, if in that case how about a loan ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Keep in touch and good luck.
Read everything you can on this board, it free and it's the best of the best.

Originally Posted By: James Fuller

Thanks for the information and the answer to my dumb question on E&O insurance. My grandfather always said that, “No question is a dumb question if you don’t know the answer!”. It was dumb to me as I couldn’t find out by searching the board. As for a “Home Study” course, where do I find these at? I don’t mind doing the homework, I just don’t know where the school is! lol As for quitting my day job, it ain’t happening. I am just trying to aline myself for another career in case I get “downsized”, and with the state of the economy and the fact that my job is a UNION job, there is a high probably that may happen. I just want to be prepared. I don’t mind working, but the work has to be there for me to work. Make sense? I did a search and NACHI came up first before ASHI did. Is there any problem with being a member of both? I don’t mind and have read that a lot of people ask the ASHI membership question first. I am just trying to figure out the best way to start off. Again, this is a GREAT SOURCEof information and I really do appreciate it all. Thanks for the replies gang and keep 'em coming as I need all the help that I can get!

Sincerely,
James Fuller

Originally Posted By: jkoong

James,

welcome to the inspector world.If you take the training from Building Spec inspection system,they are very good,go check it out.

Originally Posted By: tallen

James ,

A lot of inspectors belong to both NACHI and ASHI and a few others Orgs. as well.I would check out all the available info and go with what you think is best for you .

Best of luck icon_smile.gif

(James soon to be NACHI member)

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: jrooff

and it will be the first one up.

As for who you join up with, you can join them all, but look at the rest and see where your $$$'s are spent the best for you. I have not yet had anyone ask me who I belong to, but the fact that I do belong to something is a good thing.

Oh ya after getting certified you should find a NACHI inspector ( about 50 + miles away) and hook up for a ride along or two, offer to buy lunch, it will be your best buy for an Education.

Good luck