No Electrician I know

Jim,
Read my replies and think on it. Try to put yourself in any Home inspector’s shoes. Forget air conditioners and think 40 or 50 year old house where the home owner does crazy things with the electrical system.

Doing it my way gets a licensed electrician out at the house to further evaluate the system.

That is the best argument that I can think of not to hire that home inspector because the home inspector becomes superfluous. Just hire all the trades because that’s what this HI is going to tell you to do anyway.

Well said.

Plus it does nothing to further a positive image of your industry.

Deep breath…obviously you have read an air conditioner data tag. It gives a minimum breaker size and a maximum breaker size. For instance minimum 22.7 amps and maximum 35 amps. If the manufacturer says 35 amps, then I would be a fool to say a 60 amp breaker is ok.

That’s not what I said and you know it.

I have seen your reports and they are no different.

Then do inform us of three things:

• What does that circuit do according to its label - you have not said yet?
  • What does the label on the condenser say the minimum ampacity and maximum breaker size are?
  • What circuit does service condenser and what is the wire gauge and breaker size on that circuit?

Having performed an electrical inspection on the house and found a life threatening defect on that circuit, as a careful and competent inspector, you should be able to answer these questions

So you don’t care how much it costs the seller or how it makes you look? Something like this could cost the sale of the property because of the doubt you placed in the buyers mind. No way is that fair to the seller. I have made “corrections” to “defects” improperly written up simply because of the fear of loosing the sale. I told the seller the HI was wrong but they said they could not afford to loose the sale. I guess paying a few hundred unnecessarily due to the HI incompetence was better than loosing the sale. IIRC the realtor also told them they would need to disclose the “defect” since it was now known potentially frightening off other buyers had the sale fallen through.

It’s exactly what you said.

Show me any instance where I have made an unsubstantiated request for someone to research such a defect without clearly identifying all relevant parameters. My reports are out there. Have at it. I’ll wait.

Absolutely you need to report the 60 if the dataplate calls for a maximum of 35. You just cannot make blanket assumptions that the 30 amp breaker needs #10 without knowing what it serves.

It was a dryer, but again I don’t know if the legend is accurate or if the home owner has modified the circuit. That is beyond the scope of a home inspection.

If it was a dryer that makes it even easier since you have it wired with a 2 wire NM cable. 10-2 NM was never allowed to serve a 120/240 volt load.

Do you ever know for sure if the directory is accurate or if any modifications have been made? Why waste the time even looking?

Chris you’re probably 99.9% correct that the #10 conductors on a 60 amp OCPD is a violation and requires to be called out but you did say that if the OCPD is larger than the typical conductor ampacity you call it out, that’s the part that everyone seems to have a problem with.

What a bunch of egotistical, *****es. In the end everyone of you agreed with my recommendation.

This this message board sucks!

So someone gives their time and attempts to freely share knowledge to improve your knowledge of a subject and make sure your reports are accurate and you resort to name calling. How professional. And you still didn’t learn anything. So sad.

Perhaps others will learn from it.

Chris, with all due respect, the below bolded/underlined (my doing) is what those knowledgable in home/commercial electricity do not agree with. But, they are trying to share with everyone who reads this thread as being an inaccurate blanket statement that would not hold true in every instance. (Think newbies.) That statement does not hold true in every instance (Think a motor or compressor load.):

Enjoy the Labor Day weekend!

You sir are a P*SSY…Grow Up!

I think you’re missing the bigger picture.

“10AWG max capacity 30A” is only one rule of many.

There are “rules” that allow 10AWG to be used on circuits with an OCPD larger than 30A.

As Home Inspectors, we should not pick one rule (of many) and base every recommendation on that one rule, since it does not apply to every situation.

If you are unsure of the equipment on the load side of that OCPD, then call it out for “further evaluation,” but don’t call it “wrong” based on that one rule.