No plumbing vents?

This is why you hunt them down. Here is one I found broken off and terminating under the deck adjacent to the crawl entrance. DSC08012

2 Likes

Thanks for the pictures. I didn’t see anything like this at the house but I definitely learned something new. Appreciate everyone’s input!

Very stylish! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I have found on many older homes (those where they started out with outdoor facilities) and then upgraded to new fangled indoor fixtures… many times the vents are just stubbed up and terminated in the attic. Plumbers can cut through and hide it in the attic but really don’t care to extend it through the roof…costs more. Not right but that is as far as they go. Especially if the remodel was performed pre-1970ish, where not much code enforcement or permits required here.

Had a remodel that was done less than a year ago on a small cabin where they added a bathroom on the second level. (actually inspected it about a year before) AAV in the attic. Plumber just hoped no one would notice. It would have been a real pain to extend it through the roof…especially since it had a very steep metal roof.

1 Like

Let’s face it. Unless you know what you are doing, and have access to proper flashings for metal roofs, it is a PIA to flash a penetration so it doesn’t leak. Many plumbers just won’t bother!

(Yes, I know this is an older thread).

Most plumbers around my neck of the woods use this type of vent boot. No need to get on the roof. It is all done from inside the attic.

Yes, I, too, know that this is an old thread. I thought I would throw this out there.

1 Like

On a metal roof??

1 Like

Only limited application on metal roofing! Cannot use on ‘standing seam’ applications, unless (by luck) on ‘flat’ areas only.

Not a problem, IMO, if you know what you are doing, I can easily see the standing seams from inside the attic and know where to cut the hole. No luck is needed. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Framers cutting the roof vent for plumbers! Them boys got you trained. Must be a northern thing :slightly_smiling_face:

In the North you learn all the trades, That is how you survive.

1 Like

Jack lives up north, don’t ya know.

We used to call that a roofers license. Jack of all trades master of none.

1 Like

Here you go, Martin, belittle it, have at it, what do you think? Pex plumbing tools are inexpensive,
IMG_0722
I did not want to call an over priced plumber, so I did the work, Go ahead and figure out what I did.

Looks like there’s no slip joints on the trap. Hard to tell with the angle of the photograph. If you rough in your lavatory drain about 19 inches from the finished floor you don’t need to use all of those extensions.

Nice looking job Scott I understand not wanting to hire a plumber. I just did a remodel for the plumbing business last week and did all my own framing and carpentry. Only thing I don’t do is sheet rock. Those boys who mud sheet rock are talented.

The drain was already there, I installed a taller vanity. plus it was nested up off the floor another 1 1/2’’ for tall Earthlings. There is nothing wrong with the trap.

I disagree. Traps under a sink are intended to be taken apart for cleaning. I don’t know what the codes are in your area but I did post the international plumbing code above. Maybe a few bucks for a licensed plumber would have helped your client in the end.

There is a clean out in the bottom of the trap.

That is made to drain the trap. You will not be able to rod out that drain without cutting that P-trap apart. There is a minimum size opening to rod out that 1 1/2” drain. That plug underneath the trap does not meet that requirement. Not the way I do it I’m moving on :slightly_smiling_face: