No weep holes

I know we’ve had this discussion several times before, but I wanted to clarify this issue.

This photo comes from a home with brick veneer running from the brick shelf up to the eaves. There were no weep holes installed and I was able to look between the brick and the block foundation at the bottom edge of the moisture barrier. There does appear to be any flashing installed either. The photo depicts those three components block foundation, the moisture barrier and the back of the brick/mortar.

What I’m wondering is if anyone knows of the scenario where flashing and weep holes would not be required in brick veneer. Perhaps drainage would be directed into the cells of the masonry block and down to the drainage tile around the footing. I personally have never heard of this set up but I’m just trying to imagine if there is a reason for not installing flashing and weep holes.

If anyone has any ideas or even perhaps an illustration of a different accepted method of dealing with moisture behind brick veneer please post it.

How old is the home?

There is no alternative in the code to weep holes. Perhaps the house was built before it was required.

I’d be shocked if you found weeps on a house that old. If I didn’t see any issues, I wouldn’t even mention it.

Really? I see it all the time on houses with brick veneer from 30’s and up. Was there a period of time when it wasn’t really standard practice?

I’m now taking the Texas Standards of Practice, Legal and Ethics Update CE course. Here is one of the FAQ that was asked:

Must be a regional thing. I can’t remember ever seeing weeps on a house built before early 70’s. Lucky if I see them on new construction. I believe it’s been a standard with the brick industry since the 60’s.

In my area I only see them on maybe every third brick veneer…and usually in houses built in the 70’s to present. I don’t report them missing, but I do inform my clients not to fill them in when I do find them.

A good 95% of the house built in central Missouri have no weep holes. And yes, we have problems because of the lack of them. Sad but true.

I suppose the ones I’ve seen on older homes could be an exception rather than the norm. I did one about two years ago one a house built in 1952 with veneer in perfect condition and a generous number of weep holes. Only problem was the current owner had plugged every one of them with small corks. “to keep out insects” :slight_smile:

Been around for a long time, they just make them better now and also have retrofit for those that block them.

Watch the video. :):wink:
http://tamlyn.com/NewConstWeepHoleCover.html

Knowing there is no flashing installed, is there any method for adding weep holes at the brick shelf in older construction without them?

Never seen that senario before, but if there were no flashing installed, the moisture would come out between the brick and the steel lintel, for there is no mortar at that location and free exit for moisture.

It would also be rusted all to hell. :slight_smile:

I was thinking down at the brick shelf on the foundation.

Like most cases I have seen, no signs of moisture, concrete drinks it all and excess weeps out the joints and mortar.
No damage observed usually. Big difference if a brick shelve was created when built. :slight_smile:

Here are a few pictures you rarely see.

Whoops, that is me, on the weekend coast tour. :):wink:

Hey buddy your hair is turning white!!!

If the code writers would consult with home inspectors houses would have less problems. I could write a book about water intrusion into brick houses (not roof leaks). The worse ones even had the weep holes.

Here is an interesting read even if they are trying to sell stuff: