Number of Nails connecting roof rafter to ridge board

Can anybody point me to the table that specifies how many fasteners are required connecting roof rafters to ridge board. I’ve looked through R802, but can’t find it. I see the table for rafters to ceiling joists, but not rafters to ridge.

The only thing I see is R802.3 Framing Details: Rafters shall be framed to ridge board … with a gusset plate…

But I’ve seen plenty of conventional framed / stick-built roofs that don’t use gusset plates.

What am I missing?

Background: Today’s inspection had only 4 nails connecting 2x12 rafters to ridge, which doesn’t appear to be enough nails.

Disclaimer: Yes-I know we don’t do code inspections, but I would like to have the code reference for this issue.

I think the absence of a code reference speaks for itself.

it’s in table R602.3(1)

ROOF RAFTERS TO RIDGE, VALLEY OR HIP RAFTERS 4-16d TOENAIL OR 3-16d FACENAIL

It’s fine.

Roof rafters to ridge, valley or hip rafters:

Toe nail**…** 4 - 16d

face nail**… 3 **- 16d

How old is the home? Has it held up? It you answer YES to both of these questions, must be fine then, If the answer is NO then it needs repaired.

When did “How old is the home?” become a yes/no question?

You might say “it needs repair” or “needs to be repaired” not “needs repaired”.
Just trying to help clean up the grammararound here. :wink:

That is true, not a proper question,
How Old is he home? for a YES answer. But it is SPELLED correctly.

Needs Repaired is PROPER grammar.

Not so sure it is (needs=future tense / repaired=past tense), but then again, I’m not an English major.

I think I’ve made my point.

Peace and Prosperity to you.

Very good points Rick!:wink:

Rick,

“Requires repairs” would be my choice of words.

From the OBC “Ontario Building Code” for fellow Canadian Inspectors.

Looks like a code oversight, I doubt they ever considered 2x12 rafters or they would have required more nails for that.

what is the span and spacing of those 2x12 rafters?

If the four toenails are too close to the end of the board it could fail with a big snow load.

Since you are in a snow region, so you would think the framer would have elected to exceeed code in this case.

I inspected a home where the builder was using YP for framing…had the required nails but because yellow pine splits so bad, it was useless. I know some builders like to use it for floor systems because they can get a better price plus it spans slightly better than spruce but its nothing but junk.

I was a carpenter for 25 years in CA and CO. Standard was 3 face nails, and for the toenailed side, 3 toenails in one side of the rafter and 2 in the other. I never heard that this was regulated by code, but more of an industry accepted standard.

Kenton is mostly always right on. If the ridge is structural the rafters should be tied with hangers. Doesn’t sound like a structural ridge though (he did call it a ridge board). A ridge board is only there to provide something to nail to. The opposing rafters support themselves.

That is correct David, and the reason for 3 nails on one side and two on the other is so that the nails are not lined up on opposing sides to split the wood.
It was like that 40 years ago and should still be like that today, when attachments are done in the conventional ways of framing.
Same thing was done when I used to frame with 2"x6" studs, 3 on one side and two on the other.
Brings back old memories.

Now they use air nailers and you will have twice the amount of nails required because it is too easy to pull the trigger. :mrgreen:

That is the way I was taught too. Too bad I seldom see it anymore, but I do see a lot of roof stuctures blown off. I wonder if there is a connection, Hmmmmm](*,) Sad but true.