Ohio Ancillary

I am new to the inspections business and was wondering what most of the clients ask for. Mold, Radon inspections or energy audits. Thanks

Hi Jesse,

Clients general look for Radon, Wood Destroying Inspects and mold.

If your just starting out, concentrate on the home inspection and sub out the other stuff.

If you do decide to offer additional services, I recommend starting with Radon.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the reply. Is there any home inspectors that offer home energy audits. I know with the price of blowers doors staring at $2400 is it worth the investment.

Read “What to Expect”

Home Energy Audit – Columbia Gas of Ohio

When I started back in the day, I got licensed for WDI for 2 reasons.

  1. Because my competition offered it.
  2. Because the banks don’t care about the home inspection or Radon, but they want to see that WDI report before they loan their money.

Today it’s still pretty much the same although things are slowly changing.

Also, since I’m there inspecting the property already, my report software has the NPMA-33 built in and it takes me a minute or two to finish the report out, print it into a PDF and send it with the inspection report.

I did get licensed for Radon but let it go because for me, it’s too much of a hassle to go to the property twice, not to mention state record keeping, calibration of machines and all the rest, for me it’s easier and more economical to sub it out.

As for mold, I wouldn’t touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Here is the note that goes in my reports whenever I see “mold”.