Ontario Guys Please Read!!!

Just finding this today… is there any new info on this topic? “Mr. Home Inspector from Housemasters gave a presentation at our bi-monthly meeting yesterday saying that all home inspectors MUST be safety-certified by the Ontario Construction Safety Association and MUST have fall arrest equipment and confined space entry equipment OR ELSE THE REALTORS WILL FACE FINES RANGING FROM $500 TO $250,000”. I dont see why the realtor would face fines…doesn’t add up.
I own a roofing company, but usually subcontract out for inspections, no one has said anything about this…should we be concerned with this when dealing with soon to be home owners? I am located in Ontario as well.

Got my working at heights ticket last week!

Lots to read at the Ministry of Labour web site.

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca

Nothing official yet stay tuned to this forum as information Will get posted here if and when it happens .

Got mine earlier this year as well since good 'ol MOL wants us to have it to safely climb…

Nothing about masks/tanks/respirators yet…

**Ya’ll realize this thread is 10 years old right? **

New MOL regulations in Ontario require fall restraint on anything over three meters.

Yes, as of April 2016 you must be “working at heights” certified.

(Not to be confused with some being high and certifiable!) :slight_smile:

I suppose this only applies to people who walk roofs.

Cheers

Thanks. The thread was confusing until you clearified. Imagine a newbie that wasn’t privy to the info.

Actually no…

For any height greater than 3 M (ca. 9,8 Ft) where a ladder is being used, proper tie down and safety equipment must be used.

I.e. If the attic hatch is 10 ft of the ground, you need to do the dance.

Before you pop a burst disc, I agree! The law is not fairly applied (roofers, general contractors) resulting in an obvious cash grab towards some professions.

However, seems the MOL and its cronies are putting some powder in their cartridges and starting to go around dishing out fines…

Most probably yes… The thread did indeed sound confusing without further details.

Best regards,
Pat

As related to the class I took, if a home owner hired a roofing contractor, and an employee of that contractor went on the roof without proper fall restraint or travel restraint, and if that employee was caught by a MOL inspector then:

the employee could be fined $350.00 (or more)
The contractor would then receive a fine of $700.00 (double)
AND THE HOMEOWNER COULD BE FINED $1,400.00!!!

Big Brother is alive and well in the Province of Ontario.
We all know Premier Wynn has bankrupted the Province and must fill the coffers some how.

JMAO!

You guys do not know what your talking about according to Roy Cooke

From Him

Nothing official yet stay tuned to this forum as information Will get posted here if and when it happens .

Jim, look at the date of the post. 9/21/06, 11:12 PM Hmm.

Roy’s post;
#14 Report Post
Old 9/22/06, 1:26 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: Ontario Guys Please Read!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwand1
Larry, I don’t think there is anything stopping anyone from tying off a ladder by throwing a rope over the roof, tying one end to the truck bumper or hitch and the other end to a harness, another to the ladder.
Just my luck Char ( My Wife ) would move the truck so the owner can get out of the garage.
. Who Carries two ropes one small enough to throw over the roof and the second to be strong enough to tie off the ladder .
Tell me how many ropes have you ever tossed over any thing .
I have done it lots of times and have a one lb weight to do it with .
I can see the first time I do it on the Job the line will be just long enough to go 4 feet past the gutter and BASH through the sliding glass window .
Thanks I will take my chance with the safety Inspector and get him to show me how he breaks the Window .
You can be sure I will have my Camera taking pictures of this fiasco Wow !
I sure could get a lot of millage with that .
Thanks for the Chuckle Ray .
Roy Cooke

Robert

The post was made today from Cooke

After I made my comment he deleted his post like usual

My fault for not quoting it

Roy was wrong. His post was removed.

Robert, you are confusing the issue by quoting old posts. Ignore everything from post #1 to post #20

Correct I thought they where talking about licensing .re read the post saw my error and removed the post. No big deal

Do you also think it was no big deal copying from members only and putting it in the open forum?

Me thinks the chances of getting caught are slim and none… you know the rest.

Cheers