Passed NHIE First Try

Finally, took the National Home Inspector Exam, passed first try.

Not going to lie, it was hard. There was a lot of material that I felt really wasn’t covered in my courses, but I was able to work through them, because of what I did learn in my classes. Even though it touched on topics I that weren’t explained, I still figured most of the questions out by thinking about how the systems work.

That probably is due to the fact that I’ve really taken my time here, only working through courses when I had time to really read the material presented. This meant I’ve been going through the InterNACHI program much slower than most (over a period of a few years). Most of the material was completely new to me, since I don’t really have much experience working in the trades (aside from one year I spent repairing roof leaks). Nearly all of my experience is working in technology and marketing (web development, social media, graphic design, etc.) or entertainment related businesses (music venues, bars, arcades, etc.)

Overall, I would have to say that thia test WAS the hardest I have ever taken. But in preparing for it, I feel like I got more from the experience than I did any of my prior learning in college. It isn’t impossible though, if you take your time. I think a lot of people who want to transition to this industry rush through their courses just to get the boxes checked, missing important details in the process. They want a quick transition to a new career. I didn’t do that.

Now to finish up my last few requirements here be fully certified too.

9 Likes

Congratulations, Wesley!

Although I didn’t read the last 3-4 paragraphs of your wall, it sounds like you actually learned the basics of the material. And, that’s a good thing.

Many enjoy learning all the way through life. :+1:

Good luck!

4 Likes

Congrats! :+1: :+1: :us: :us:

1 Like

I guess I did write a wall, lol. (So, I shortened it.)

And Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congrats Wesley! Great work :smiley:

1 Like

Congratulations, Wesley!

1 Like

Congratulations, Wesley.

2 Likes

Great job!

3 Likes

WTG Wesley !! Happy Inspecting!!

3 Likes

Congrats Wesley, now the fun begins!

2 Likes

Congratulations Wesley. Welcome to the home inspection industry. I hope to see you here discussing home inspection topics often.

1 Like

Nice job.
It’s been years since I looked at the NHIE. There were about a dozen worthless unrelated to what we do questions and another dozen throwaways and a few just stupid questions. But if you are in a state where you have to take it, then whad-ya-goin-to-do except take it.

1 Like

Congratulations!!!
I haven’t tested yet but this is a reminder of why I’ll be more than happy going back over some courses a couple of times because as you mentioned, a lot of this stuff can’t be rushed through.

Congratulations! Here where I live in Ontario, Canada, this trade isn’t regulated (yet). But I’ve decided to get certified regardless, as I believe I would be doing the industry and any clients a disservice if I didn’t get the proper training and certification. I also passed on first try, and have to agree with you, even with all my construction experience, I found it quite difficult. So I’ll be revisiting the quizzes on a regular basis to keep my mind sharp and ready for re-examination.

1 Like

That’s awesome! I am taking my time as well through the course. A small sacrifice of my early mornings!

1 Like

When I first joined about 3 weeks ago I took the final exam as was suggested. I have a little background in construction, and I’ve always enjoyed figuring things out and fixing things myself. I did not pass but I was really close. Now I’ve taken several of the courses and I feel much more confident that I will be able to pass the final when I get to that point again. I’m glad you passed on the first try, that gives me even more hope!