Please ... can someone help me to understand?

Originally Posted By: Diana Reese
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I apologize in advance if this posting seems a little out of place.

Most of the info. available on the Web re: foundation crack repair seems to involve basement areas, but I am trying to find out whether hairline cracks that appear to start below grade with a slab-on-grade foundation need to be grouted. The moisture concerns raised seem to focus again on basement areas. Should I be concerned about having these below grade cracks repaired, as well as those above grade? Isn't it possible that the foundation walls are insulated or have a moisture barrier system of some type? Or should the cracks be repaired for other concerns besides moisture?

Is there any way that I could take care of this myself, although without a bulldozer, I'm not sure that I could. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Hi Diana,

I'm not sure if I understand the question. Where are you concerned the moisture may go if you have a slab on grade? Here in San Antonio we have mostly slab on grade construction. If there are some hairline cracks in the foundation without any other signs of movement (i.e. cracking in the walls, ceilings ,floors or doors and windows rubbing) I usually do not recommend any action. The only concern that would be called out is that a crack in the foundation is considered a conducive area for wood destroying insects. Depending on the height of your slab above grade, moisture may not be much of a concern.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Hello Patrick. Please forgive my ignorance on this issue. My concern is whether or not the cracks below grade should be repaired. I have reason to believe that the property may have experienced differential settlement, for example, one hairline crack that begins below grade comes up vertical a few inches and then turns right and becomes a horizontal crack that’s about 1/32" wide for the distance of a few feet. This crack is on the exterior, front wall that faces the main street, below two, large front windows.

I want to also keep as much moisture as possible away from the foundation walls and along with gutters and regrading, I am wondering if I should install some type of plastic sheeting below grade as a moisture barrier.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Diana -

Your post is confusing. A slab-on-grade foundation is exactly that. But you state the crack comes up vertically and the turns horizontally on the front wall. So the question is do you have a SLAB Foundation AND the crack comes up into the drywall OR do you have a BASEMENT Foundation with a slab on the floor and the crack comes up into the foundation walls OR .....?

Alright, let me try this. icon_redface.gif

If you were standing in my front yard and looking directly at the front exterior wall of my home, you would see a hairline crack that begins in a vertical direction heading toward the sky at or below grade level, right through the stucco surface, and then proceeds to curve and make a straight horizontal crack about 1/32" wide. The crack stops before it gets to the end of the wall. I thought my home was a slab on grade, as most Florida homes are, but perhaps I am incorrect.

I'm sorry for being such a nuisance. I'll just have to make a decision on what to do about the below grade cracks on my own.

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Diana,

If you do have a slab on grade (no basement or crawl space) the fact that there are cracks below grade would not matter much. The moisture wouldn't go anywhere and you're not in a freezing climate so that wouldn't factor in either. What is more concerning is the size and placement of the crack.

Where the crack begins to go horizontally, is this only about 4-8" above the grade level? You mentioned you have a stucco house. This just may be a result of movement at the transition between the stucco siding on your home and the foundation.

If you have a digital camera, a picture would clarify a lot.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Some houses in Florida have block walls on the 1st floor behind the siding or stucco - perhaps you have that.

Originally Posted By: kbowles

Dianne,

You can have a slab, (concrete floors inside) and have cracks in your foundation. The main concern you should have is whether or not you have a crack in the footing itself. Settlement cracks happen but as long as there is no shifting in the walls or footing you may be ok. But this is certainly something to be looked at by a qualified individual. Hope this helps you.

Kevin B

--
Life's a journey, not a destination.
Aerosmith

I want to thank you for your helpful responses. After extensive research and a close assessment of our property, I do believe that at least one of the footers has shifted a bit due to soil saturation. Whether it’s cracked, I will not know until an engineer does an inspection. I now realize that unknowingly to us at the time, what was a delicate situation, was pushed over the edge by an incredible amount of rain in a very short time period.

I believe that power is knowledge and I love being proactive, so having to react to something of this "potential" magnitude is daunting, leaving me with frustration and anger. But what is done is done.

At least I do know NOW how to proceed and as difficult as all of this has been for us, I remain thankful to have noticed now rather than later.

Take it easy ... and thank you again.