Please proof this new article on conductor types

http://www.nachi.org/conductor-types

cheers

I will look at it in more detail but the very first thing I see is the 14-3 example is incorrect. You show a Red, White and Green and this is not how you would see it. Try Red, Black, White and Bare( Copper Color ).

I will look for more.

Your Statement: “They are not permitted in residential construction higher than three stories, or in any commercial construction.”

Technically the 3 story limitation was lifted but it still may depend on the limitations from th IBC.

Your Statement: “NM and NMC cables should be secured at intervals that do not exceed 4½ feet, and they should be secured within 12 inches of junction boxes and panels to which they are attached. Cables that do not comply with this rule can sag and are vulnerable to damage.”

This is correct in most cases ( the 12" part ), but if the box is a non-metallic ( most are ) single gang box the distance is 8".

[size=2][FONT=Times New Roman]Exception: Where nonmetallic-sheathed cable or multiconductor
Type UF cable is used with single gang boxes not
larger than a nominal size 57 mm × 100 mm (2

[/FONT][/size][FONT=Times New Roman][size=1]1[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2].[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=1]4 [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]in.[/size][/FONT][size=2][FONT=Times New Roman]× 4 in.) mounted in walls or ceilings, and where the cableis fastened within 200 mm (8 in.) of the box measured along
the sheath and where the sheath extends through a cable
knockout not less than 6 mm ([/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=1]1[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2].[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=1]4 [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]in.), securing the cable to[/size][/FONT]

*[size=2][FONT=Times New Roman]the box shall not be required. *Multiple cable entries shall
be permitted in a single cable knockout opening.
[/FONT][/size]

Armored Cables (AC)
Armored cable (AC), also known as BX, was developed in the early 1900s by Edwin Greenfield. It was first called “BX” to abbreviate “product B – Experimental,” although AC is far more commonly used today. Like Romex cables, they cannot be used in residences higher than three stories, and the rules for protection and support of AC wiring are essentially the same as the rules for Romex. Unlike Romex, however, AC wiring has a flexible metallic sheathing that allows for extra protection. Some major manufacturers of armored cable are General Cable, AFC Cable Systems, and United Copper Systems.

Ok, I know plenty of multifamily dwellings higher than 3 stories using AC Cable. Also while good info lets understand that BX is not AC cable in that the outer jacket of AC Cable is approved as an EGC while BX was never evaluated or approved for this application. Many DIYers use the BX to justify replaceing old 2 prong plugs with 3 prong plugs and install a bonding jumper. In reality the connections for BX and it’s steel jacket may give the appearance of being ok but it is not…just some additional info.

Thanks Paul!

1. As Paul mentioned, the 14/3 needs to be addressed. Also, NM cable is now sold as NM-B (NM is the old style of cable manufactured years ago, it is no longer available)
  2. The illustration of the SE cable is a little misleading. It is typically a flat cable with the grounded conductor helically wound around the other conductors contained within the sheathing.
  3. The AC cable would most likely be a black and white conductor if showing a 2-wire cable.

How specific would you want this critique to be? I do not want to pound someone for the work they started, at least not publically. If you would like more input from me, please PM me.

I am sure they dont mind being pounded Pierre as they openly asked for the critique of the article. I spoke on specific things I saw in a short glance but I am sure they would welcome a more indepth review with open arms.