Poney wall paint coming off

Just a question about pony walls. I did a thermal scan on a house and the lady said that there used to be water coming in one window in the basement. I did not see anything with the camera so I checked with the moisture meeter. Nothing around the window but when I checked the pony wall there was between 20% and 30% moisture on the corner. I checked the rest of the pony wall in the basement and the same thing.

She then told me that when they set anything on the top of the wall for a few days and then take it off the paint wants to stick to what ever they are taking off.

The house is built in 2002 and that was the last time that the walls were painted.

The downspouts are on and away from the house and the grade looks good.

She also said that the backfill came above the tar line on the cement and wondered if that would have an effect.

Any thoughts???

Thanks
Lawrence

What is a Pony Wall?

Carmine, it is another slang word to describe a crippled wall, we had fun with this a couple of years ago and can’t find it.

I found this in Barry Addairs post of last year.

http://www.abag.ca.gov/bayarea/eqmap…ch2/sld017.htm

Hope it helps. :slight_smile: :smiley:

Could the moisture be from condensation? Warm air hitting a cold surface looses water. Just a thought.
Roof leak or attic moisture running down the wall?
Don’t think that much would come up from the foundation.

It depends on where you live. In some parts of the country it refers to a wall half the height of the other walls–such as found between a kitchen and dining area. In other places it refers to a wall that blocks a hallway and is temporary, for the most part.

Where I live, it’s a short structural wall, such as on top of a foundation wall to increase the height. I think that is the situation referred to here.

Actually in Alberta, it should consist of a horizontal 2x4 plate with 4 short studs attached, a 2x4 head and a rope for a tail. :smiley:

Thanks for the replys and sorry I did not respond sooner but was on vacation and busy. I think I will get them to talk to the basement solution guys and see what they have to say.

I do not think it is condensation and there appears to be no leaks.

Thanks
Lawrence