Possible trouble client?

Im not too worried if I do my job as I should I don’t need to worry.

Here in California the client is supposed to have an inspection agreement 48 hours BEFORE the inspection.

Chuck

When people ask this kind of question I just wright a book. :mrgreen:

And they get the report in 3 or 4 days…

Best

Ron

I disagree. I carry G/L and E&O. I have this fact listed on my web site and I mention it to clients when they call, when they ask why my fees are higher than the average.

I have had a couple of clients ask to see my insurance certs. I recommend that whenever a client hires a contractor, that they also ask to see the insurance certs of the contractors. Just due diligence.

In my opinion, carrying E&O is the sign of a professional. They care so much for their clients that they protect the client from any errors that they make.

This is NOT to say that E&O is a license for the client to sue the inspector on every little thing. There have been inspections that I did that came back, later, with problems that were not observable and no inspector could have found without invasive, hight technical and specialized means. Beyond the scope of a home inspection.

In these cases, I simply explain (or, if they are persistant, have my lawyer explain) that the defect was not detectable within the context of a home inspection. Never had a problem.

Had a client, once, where the water heater crapped out about 6 months after the inspection and damaged the hardwood floors in the finished basement (I did call out that having hardwood floors, installed directly on the slab, was problematic in itself). The plumber told the client that I should have found this. I called the plumber and asked just how I could have been able to do this, but he didn’t respond. Go figure.

In any case, the cleint called and I offered to come out and look, but they already had the water heater replaced. About 2 months later, I get a letter from their insurance company demanding that I put in a clain with my insurance for $10,200. I referred it to my lawyer and he sent them a letter.

1. The defect was beyond my scope to predict and was not actionable.
  2. The insurance company had no standing to claim against my insurance, they were not the client and I had no contractural agreement with them.
  3. The clients had been informed, in the report, that the water heater was near the end of its useful life.

Never heard anything further.

Hope this helps;

Agree!

I assume that when talking to clients, that you tell them to check the insurance of any contractors they hire, right?

Why should they be any less diligent when picking an inspector?

Hope this helps;