PRO-LAB deal on IR Camera: $2,995.

The day is coming…and is not far away…when an SOP will be exceeded by an inspector with an IR camera who misinterprets a cool temperature reading as moisture and will cost the sale and be sued by the seller.

He will turn and read his E&O policy that requires his compliance with the NACHI SOP while the plaintiff’s attorney is introducing into evidence his “marketing” materials whereby he advertises how he “exceeds” (aka “does not comply”) with the NACHI SOP.

When that happens…(not if)…it will be broadcast like wildfire through the used house salesmen’s communication systems and there will be a pandemic of issues regarding people who are “exceeding” instead of complying with the SOP with their use of their IR cameras “to show more”.

I would be lying if I were to suggest that I, among others, will not have a slight smile my face as I pretend to be shocked and concerned about this horrible turn of events as I am being told about them.

But I salute the inspector who inspects and reports according to the SOP and, in addition, provides and charges for the extra services that he can provide with his IR camera. When the prices become more reasonable, I plan to do so, myself.

There is no SOP out there that limits ones ability to exceed. Only the E&O try that. A fool would advertise and publish services that were not qualified by education and experience. Anyone just buying a camera without the education deserves what falls on his shoulders. I would be the first to throw dirt on his business coffin.

For one not to own a camera , it would be hard for one to see the actual benefit of having and using one. If an inspector uses proper protocal he will not have false reading that will blow a sale for a realtor or seller. He will follow up accordingly. But, it is hard to show, what one has not seen.

James, this has already happened several times and the world as we know
it has not ended. The inspector who blows it, will take the heat, as always.

To my clients I say…

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]There is only one real question to ask yourself. How good of a home inspection do you want?[/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]Most first calls that I get from prospective clients ask:[/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]“How much do you charge?”[/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]If you are looking for a quick (and cheap) home inspection, you won’t hire us. If you call and talk to us, we will be happy to help and answer all your questions (for free, and we are happy to help) and give you the names of several other Home Inspectors who serve the area where your new home is. They will probably charge you less and they will follow the bare minimum requirements required by the state. You will probably be satisfied. But, please note: We will not be endorsing them or their services! We work on an entirely different level.[/FONT]

[FONT=trebuchet ms,arial,helvetica]We decided, when we began this company, that it would not be worth it if we didn’t enjoy and take pride in our work, if we didn’t do an exceptional job for each and every one of our clients. We decided that we will not work for any Realtor or bank or mortgage company or become beholding to any professional organization that did not demand excellence. We work for our clients and no one else. (Will Decker)[/FONT]

I take a lot of pix with my “D” camera, Some make it to the report some do not

All are inspected for additional information. I can take shots in locations where it would be unsafe for me to inspect. The flash, zoom, and storage are far better than the systems installed by God or my parrents. God invented and mom and dad were the tools

In any case the camera helps to produce a better inspection. I would have no problem leaving the flashlight at home but not the camera

The IR camera is just like my “D” camera with a little more frequency response.

Sort like AM and FM radio

The flashlight is not in my SOP my camera is — I tell everyone that I follow the Nachi SOP but guess what – I follow my own

So if I ever get in front of “THE MAN” I would say “go sue Nachi for having a bad SOP that is why I did not follow it”

BTW – Read it and then tell me that it does not need help

rlb

I was talking to an inspector that works for a law firms as an expert witness inspector. He just had a case that another inspector was sued over issue from an IR scan. The main part that the def lost the case over was he noted one item in his scan but did not note another item. The inspector that works for the law firm was using 320X240 And was able to see the second anomaly. The def. was using a low 120x120 cam.

I think it would be very hard to make a case on a moisture condition as things can very from day to day. what is wet today can be dry the next. just like a plumbing leak. Ive had things leak for me and had another inspector look at the same plumbing just an hr later and have no leak.

But if there is blood in the water…

We will see a lot of things over the next 5 years or so. I would say that IR will be a standard in all inspection. Buyers will want it. just as an inspection i did today and the buyer saw information about IR on a TV Show. He wanted my services and a $ 200.00 fee was a good deal to him.

If an inspector is not getting in on things now he will be by the request from buyers and the Real Estate agents.

Best

Ron

http://www.nachi.tv/screenshots/video1209664347.jpg
As Seen On TV

I do not “charge extra” for an IR “add on”. I include IR in every inspection and charge more for the inspection. To just offer it as an add on, like Radon, is the real cause for liability. Try explaining, in front of a jury, that you could have found a water leak (that had not given any surface, naked eye indication) if only the client had paid more. You would get creamed.

With the camera, you can honestly say (and back it up in court!) that you did the best possible, using the best available technology.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.

Will

I agree with 90% - Here is where I have a problem - Training is not all good or bad so to say one has been trained will not cover your ***

Inspector said some things that were true but he did shoot himself in the foot

He did spot an issue that was good – What he did not do was to use his head. That was not a result of no training that was just being stupid

later

rlb

This is true, however the logic is flawed. The converse

• lack of training (Knowledge) in how to use your tools - will certianly be a worse scenario.

Perhaps he did not know any better, and by his statements that he had no training we can assume this to be the case.
If he had training (Knowledge of how to use the tools) perhaps he would have not been “stupid”

This is an example of my original point, the tools by themselves are useless unsless you know how to use them (knowledge).

A lot of maybe’s and if’s here

Nick is building an inspection home and if he were to put some IR isues in it with the exam we could see what trainging is worth with a stupid camera or a smart camera

Smart camera are already being used in industry so it will not be long before we will see it in our profession

The first one that I saw was at the airport when we had the SARS problem

Peoples faces were looked at with the IR camera for high temp. If the alarm went off they were stopped for addional checking

NO CAMERA OPERATOR AT ALL - camera was smart enough to look for just the face and follow it. It was also part of this automatic “find the bad guy” software that did not quite work yet.

I understand that the automatic DNA and finger print software does work

The automatic color codes on the side of box cars also works

Will — with you background do you think that pattern reconition “smart camera for the untrained and uneducated” will come about. Or do you think that as they get smarter our job performance will just get better?

Just some thoughts to throw around

Wonder was the smartest camera of today costs and what does it do??

rlb

The problem again (still) is that one needs to know how to interpret the information by the “smart camera”. Simple enough to say that this is “hot” (the peoples faces) - in that instance, they didn’t care WHY they were “hot” just that they were. As a side note what happened next? Did the camera diagnose SARS? Do a medical workup? This is the point that you continue to miss - the data alone is worthless, the big question is WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? What does someone do with the information?

In Will’s example there was an anomaly detected. The problem arose when someone who was not knowledgeable interpreted the results incorrectly (insulation vs water intrusion).

You can have all the tools in the world, but if you don’t know how they work or what to do with the information provided, then you need some EDUCATION.

I am done with this topic - I refuse to have a battle of wits with…

nevermind.:roll:

If I ever find the single invention…the “wonder tool”…that will provide the key to being right in every inspection, to find parts of the house where no man has seen before, to bring about the next era in home inspections…

…I’m not telling anyone.

I’m buying it, putting it in my tool bag, and using it. Let my competitors discover it some time later…much later.

But, of course, if I want to start a school and want to shift from making money using it to making money teaching it to others…I’ll start a thread on the message board.

Witty exaggerations intended to mock lack substance. :roll:

Personally, I like finding items like these for my client , but it is all personal preference.

Dyersburg Tennessee Home Inspector (25).jpg