Prospective Home Inspector in California - Please Help

Originally Posted By: ssmith3
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Senthil Puliyadi wrote:
I have found that there are approximately 100 active home inspectors (from ASHI, CREIA and NACHI website) in SF bay area. Assuming an average of $400 per inspection, the "theoretical"

You seem to have left out those who have no affiliation. I have 3 of them right here in my town.

I too live in the SF bay area. I charge $50 more than my competition and I am happily doing 1 per week along with 3-4 draw inspections, and working at the local Water District part time. I will be soon moving to the HI business full time within the next few months.

Scott Smith

Marinspection

Vice President NorCal NACHI Chapter

I graduated from collage. Now my life is all mixed up.

Originally Posted By: Senthil Puliyadi

Dear All,

I thank all you for your comments.

It is very positive to know that you can make "good money" as a Home Inspector by selling your hard-earned skills over a period of 5-10 years. I was not expecting to make $280,000 per year in my first year of business.

Just a little bit about of more about myself..... I once thought of going to Law school and expected to make $150,000 three years down the road. I wanted to abandon my Civil Engineering career, after spending 6 years in University and three years in field. Now, it makes me thing hard if Law school is really worth, if I can put my hard-earned knowledge in the past nine years to make the same kind of money I wanted to make as a Lawyer.

Thank you all, NACHI folks. You are wonderful.

Sincerely,

Senthil Puliyadi

Originally Posted By: ekartal

My wife’s brother is a lawyer making very good $$ but he wants out real bad. eusa_eh.gif

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: jbehling

jpope wrote:
The California Market is quite unique. 120K+ is not an unrealistic expectation for my third year projections.

That I can buy into, but Joe H. saying $280,000 ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) I dunno......

Canada is a whole different market, I would guestimate only about 50-60 % of purchases receive a home inspection.

Originally Posted By: ekartal

100% of all homes in the near future. I think lenders will require it as part of the loan process. It’s in their best interest to know if a ‘marginally qualified’ applicant wants a home with $15,000 in needed repairs. Surprised it’s not that way now.

Erol

Originally Posted By: jpope

ekartal wrote:
100% of all homes in the near future. Surprised it's not that way now.

The California Association of Realtors pushes home inspections vigorously. It's part of the standard CAR contract. CAR affiliations represent about 90% of residential transfers. We're gettin' there.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

jpope wrote:
The California Market is quite unique. 120K+ is not an unrealistic expectation for my third year projections.

Which sounds like alot of money to me but..
The cost of living in Cali is a heck of alot higher than here.

--
Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.
--Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: pdoesburg

84% of all transactions are inspected.

280k, for So Cal, gross, 2 years…yes. Start up no.

It is all about the politics out here. There are inspectors making far more and obviously far less. ( There are even members who think I make that scamming people)

You need to reach very far and be content with what you actually end up with. It almost sounds like you are looking to do something for the money rather than doing something and viewing the money as a benefit of doing so.

In my experience with the HI Industry, having the privilege of being a Chapter Pres. and meeting so many of you, the common denominator is the passion of doing what we do, not how much we make. That is second.

I have a neighbor to the south billing out 9k per week. Another one just came back from Fla. helping the 'Cane victims, came back with a fist full and then there are the guys just happy to belong to a community and doing 1 or 2 per month. None survive without their passion.

California is a world with in this world, and you either come recommended, or your have a passion or you go hungry.
Good luck with the venture, there is plenty to go around, just need to find out how to get yours.

Peter

--
Peter Doesburg
Caveat Inspections
www.Caveat.biz
peter@caveat.biz