Purlin support or not?

Yeah, your right Marcel…
I also carry a Framer’s Bible in the truck… great little book.

When I hired people for framing one of the main criteria as to determining what they knew was simply taking a framing square and ask them to explain everything on it to me…the majority of the time they said they never noticed all the data that was on a framing square…if they got past that I would have them calculate the rise and run for steps…if they could do all that then I started them off at $20.00 per hour…however more often than not I ended up taking the younger guys who did not have bad habits and train them…it was a whole lot less headaches for me.
I will say that the best carpenters I have had work for me were always from the north…typically around the New England area… those guys were pretty sharp.
I have yet to find anyone in the south who is worth their salt when it comes to framing (nothing personal to my southern friends).

Yep, the majority of GC’s are paper contractors…most are relying on their subcontractors and the building inspectors to catch any mistakes.

And some of those building inspectors don’t know what they are looking at so they leave it up to someone else to pick up the mistakes. :):wink:

True, many BI’s are looking for the most common mistakes… that is evident by anyone who does phased inspections… clients are dumbfounded why a sharp HI will have pages of write up’s after a BI has given his blessing to move forward to the next phase.

Track homes by far the the worse… at the same time I guess with all the shoddy work that has been accomplished over the years we should be thankful…we will have jobs long into the next decade. lol

:D:D

That’s current code, but many, many homes have been built with 2x6 or 2x8 purlin strongbacks and are doing fine. The stongbacks installed will keep rafters on the same plane but without braces will not cut the rafter span. I don’t do any calculations. Look for rafter sagging. No sag, no defect. If it’s a newer home, the need for a purlin system is the engineer’s call.

2 Likes

They use the term rafter span not the span of a building due to rafters not always being equal on both sides of a gable roof.
There are many times you will see rafters not in opposing configurations.
So hence, rafter span makes sense.

10 years later…OK

And I did not age a bit looking at my avatar. LOL

3 Likes

Marcel that is amazing :rofl:. Some of us age like diamonds and some of us age like milk. You my friend are in the diamond club.

2 Likes