PVC within homes

Originally Posted By: jlybolt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

icon_question.gif

recently have done several homes with pvc pipe used within the home for the cold water lines. I know it can be used only for cold water and usually only outdoors. It’s uses include: water services, between the meter and building, and for irrigation.

I would like to hear from others on how they feel about pvc vs. cpvc within the home Pros and cons.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

iv’e seen several houses piped totaly with pvc with no ill effects. infact its cheaper, lasts longer, and easier to repair on a house hold level without risk of setting the house on fire. the only downfall i see is the need for increased support of the piping due to it’s flexability. so in short, as long as its the right schedule, and size, i don’t mind it at all.

Originally Posted By: ckratzer

PVC is used for waste lines.CPVC is for water supply lines.If you have ever seen and/or had to repair frozen, shattered cpvc you would think twice about using it.Don’t confuse this with PEX.Totally different

Maybe freezing is not an issue in TX .

It is definately an issue in MO. and KS.

PVC is a good replacement for ABS,( black in color).

I think I’ve pretty well covered the alphabet.Hope it helps.

Respectfully,

Cheremie

thanx for correcting me icon_redface.gif cpvc is what i meant to refrence

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I see cpvc all the time. Only downside is freezing and cracking. But easy to repair…the pipe that is…the water damage is another story. Nothing “wrong” with using it though.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: rmoore

jlybolt wrote:
![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)
recently have done several homes with pvc pipe used within the home for the cold water lines. I know it can be used only for cold water and usually only outdoors. It's uses include: water services, between the meter and building, and for irrigation.
I would like to hear from others on how they feel about pvc vs. cpvc within the home Pros and cons.
Any comments would be appreciated.

James,
The "pro" would be that when used for cold water only, it would likely perform just as well as CPVC (assuming it was properly ASTM rated). PVC just can't take the heat.

The "con" is that it is just not allowed by any code I'm aware of for distribution piping of any kind within the home. PVC service piping has to terminate within 5 feet of entering the home. Even if its only for cold water, if you don't call it, the next guy probably will. You might have some upset clients when they come to resell the house.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

PVC is not designed to be pressurized ie.used as supply line.

CPVC is a cheap way to plumb a home.I emphasize CHEAP.

I would never build and sell one of my homes plumbed with cvpc wether it was code accepted or not.I wouldn’t sleep at night knowing I sold my customer a cheap plumbing system.I’m old school and truly believe copper supply lines to be superior to any other.Yes it can freeze and burst too.Repairs can be difficult.But it doesn’t burst every time it freezes.When it bursts the location of split is self-evident.When CPVC splits it tends to split in a longer segment.Some times you can’t see the split until you’ve made the repair and turn the water back on.Then you realize you should have cut and spliced 12" instead of 6".Not to mention the newly repaired line can’t be pressurized until the cpvc cement dries.

I’m having fun icon_lol.gif I could rail about this all day to help you see things my way only because I’ve been on many an a$$ freezing call to fix both types.

We can all learn to love copper

Respectfully
Cheremie

Originally Posted By: rmoore

ckratzer wrote:
PVC is not designed to be pressurized ie.used as supply line.

I'm sorry, but that's not true. There probably is some lightweight PVC like that, but there is also ASTM rated PVC that is designed for, and can be used for pressurized systems.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Mr. Moore.

Yes you’re right and I believe schedual 40 is one of those.But I was actually refering to waste lines which actually have stamped on them that they are not to be pressurized.I’ll try to be more specific next time.I see I wasn’t very clear.

Have a great day icon_biggrin.gif

Cheremie

i tend to like both, depending on the season. I like copper in the winter because when it freezes in a cold space at least i get to warm up by the tourch. and i like pvc/cpvc in all the other months cuz it’s never a problem then. icon_cool.gif

Quote:
James,
The "pro" would be that when used for cold water only, it would likely perform just as well as CPVC (assuming it was properly ASTM rated). PVC just can't take the heat.

The "con" is that it is just not allowed by any code I'm aware of for distribution piping of any kind within the home. PVC service piping has to terminate within 5 feet of entering the home. Even if its only for cold water, if you don't call it, the next guy probably will. You might have some upset clients when they come to resell the house.

Thanks for the responses. I also could not find any reference that allowed you to use pvc within the home. Cpvc different story. Basically in this home all cold lines were pvc and all hot lines were cpvc.
Just didn't know if to write it up as a concern or in need or repair.
![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) 8

Think I found what I was looking for. IRC 2000 under P2904.5

Water distribution pipe. ABS, PVC, PE-AL-PE or PE plastic pipe shall not be used for water distribution piping. Once again thanks for everyones help