QOD for 2/6/04

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

A little different subject.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Nice…

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Today is the 6th. Is there no question tomorrow?

Blaine,

Fixed.

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: lschmid

Dave, thanks for the daily questions. They are a good stimulus to get us thinking. I like the variety too. I know it takes time each day. Thanks. Another good example of NACHI working the way it is meant to be. Helping others to help others.

Larry Schmid

First Choice Home Inspection,Inc.

South Carolina Chapter President

www.1stchoicehomeinspection.com

A SAFE HOME IS A HAPPY HOME

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Larry,

I could not agree more. There is lots of information to keep everyone thinking. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

This was a great idea. My hats off to whoever came up with this idea.

Joe Myers

Well thanks Joe, the idea was mine. I had been thinking for a while and I got the Ed Committe Chair to say okay.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: tgardner

Dave,

I voted, but the really none of the answers by themselves are complete. I won't give away what I answered was the best of the answers here so I'll wait till tomorrow to comment further.

TG

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Dave,

When are you going to post the answer?

Joe Myers

Tomorrow morning so that the night crew can have a chance at it. I will usually answer them the next morning.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: tgardner

Dave,

It's now Sat morning.

The popular answer, "leave a one inch space " is too general. I think the proper answer is a combination of soffit vents with eave baffles, a minimum of 1" between the insulation and the roof sheathing, and ridge vents at the peak of the rise ( sometimes tricky on shed type roofs).

IMHO tg

Originally Posted By: lwilliams

Of course the definitive answer is, as a home inspector without a cross section of the home inspected, you can’t see if the area has been properly insulated. Keep up the great work Dave, I look forward to your questions everyday.

Originally Posted By: wpedley

All these answers could vary.

Cathedral ceilings with drywall require one type

of insulating system and ceilings with tongue and groove cedar

require another.

--
BPedley
Inspecting for the unexpected

The correct answer is 1" of space.

Now, I understand that some of the other answers are close, but just like on the NHIE, and several state exams, these questions are written in a manner that there may be some answers that appear correct, but one is either more correct than others, or one is definitely correct and the others are not.

I do understand that some extinuating circumstances, such as cedar, may change things a little, these are directed more toward normal circumstances, which would be considered drywall.

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Seems to me that the problem was the way the answer was worded.

How do you "Leave a 1 inch gap "around" the insulation. 1 inch from the sheathing, 1 inch from the rafters and 1 inch from the interior wall finish.

Shouldn't it be a 1 inch gap between the insualtion and the roof sheathing.

or 1 inch gap above the insulation.

The Candadian Wood Association has some really good reference material on this issue at the following link.

http://www.cwc.ca/design/tech_topics/building_science/thermal/buildings/cathedral.html

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Thanks for stating that so eloquently, Erby. I chose the 1" answer because I Interpreted the question to mean 1" between the insulation and the sheathing. Your answer may show why many others chose the “wrong” answers.

I don't remember the wording on the NHIE being that ambiguous, but I still enjoy this thread. Keep it up, Dave!

Originally Posted By: Guest

Actually, the fill the cavity answer is just as correct. It’s an effective and correct way to address cathedral ceilings by filling the cavity w/ expanding foams using no venting system and for cold climates may actually be preferable. Using fiberglass batts or blown in, or cellulose fill, an inch gap between the sheathing and the insulation (not around it) WITH eave to ridge venting is an acceptable method. An inch and a half is better, encouraging better convective action and less radiant transfer of heat that made it through the insulation.

Try and fit that answer in a multiple choice environment!

Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: Guest

I wasn’t trying to be a smart aleck. Just posted it as a point of reference to further illuminate the issue. I wouldn’t want to see anyone writing a foam filled cavity as necessarily being an issue. Even after the stuff I wrote there are other factors like vapor barrier, cavity depth etc. that must be considered to determine the best approach.

Wasn’t meant to call you a smart alec! These questions reveal that there’s sometimes more than one acceptable answer, if you analyze them. Your post was good, and helps other members look at things differently. Of course, most is moot, as the cathedral ceiling is finished, and there’s not much we can see.

A few years back, builders crammed insulation into these cavities. Now, ther's the source of many a problem! ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Joe Farsetta