Question about Attic Access

This is probably a dumb question but I wanted to check with the pros.

The only access to the attic is from the garage. No door to get in, just open. Is this allowed??

NO! There should be a firewall separation…

Ok, that’s exactly what I thought, just wanted to confirm. Thank you

Confirmed!!!

Thank you, the only reason I questioned it is because the attic technically isn’t living space

**R309.2 Separation required. **

The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than ½-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to the garage side. Garages beneath habitable rooms shall be separated from all habitable rooms above by not less than 5/8-inch (15.9 mm) Type X gypsum board or equivalent. Where the separation is a floor-ceiling assembly, the structure supporting the separation shall also be protected by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board or equivalent.

I believe Canadian separation requirements are slightly different.

Good point. Mark may want to post this in the Canadian section.

The requirement in Ontario is different. Fire proofing is not required but gas proofing is. If this garage attic extends into the house attic then no holes in the gas proofing are allowed.

The garage is required to be separated with air barrier between the garage and dwelling unit. This can be achieved by using standard drywall with the joints taped. Since the attic of the home is part of the dwelling unit and not the garage then it must have a wall to separate.

Sometimes you will see the builders fumeproof the ceiling instead of having a separating wall. Either way there is no chance of CO fumes getting into the homes attic area.

I simply ask how old is the home, what codes may have been in effect and if not addressed the issues, does such issue present an adverse affect on the home and/or a safety issue based upon your personal experience and honest convictions.

Those questions will pretty much help decide what you put down.