**** Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week!
Please read the Introduction and requirements, changes may have been made.
A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.
Eligible members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the eligible member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.
Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers or giving hints/references will cause a disqualification.
First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins. The lucky winner will get a case of “Now that you’ve had a Home Inspection Books” shipped to them at their address on file. Winners of the Questions of The Week shall request their prize by emailing email@example.com](mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org) and submitting their Mailing address for shipping.
GOOD LUCK! ~ GO!
What is the required minimum thickness of a slab on ground exclusive of any footers, interior grade beams, or other factors requiring more thickness?
When using cementitious backer units (CBU i.e. USG Durock Brand Cement Board) as a substrate for the installation of ceramic tile on a wood framed wall what are the requirements for the following.
- What is the minimum nominal size lumber that a CBU can be fastened to?
- What is the maximum allowable moisture content of the framing lumber when the CBU is attached to it?
- What is the maximum floor joist span using the following criteria?
- Wood is #1 Southern Pine at a nominal 2” X 6”
- Joist spacing is 12” OC
- 10 psf Dead Load
When applying 1/2” gypsum sheathing to a framed wall what are the required spacing of fasteners along the gypsum board edges and at the intermediary supports (in the rest of the sheathing plane along the studs)?
With APA rated panel subflooring (APA Rated Sheathing) with an APA rating of 24/16 what are the answers to the following questions?
- When used as subfloor material what is the maximum unsupported span of the paneling?
- What is the maximum nail spacing at supported panel edges and intermediate supports between edges?
Extra Credit Question – From now until Wednesday this question can be used as a substitute for one of the five questions above to determine the winner. However the first person to answer all six questions between now and then will be the winner if I do not make it back to review answers by then. After Wednesday it will be used as a tie breaker between the first two who answer all of the first five questions above before I am back to review answers.
- The questions above are from a variety of areas within the construction of a home. They also come from a variety of different standards used in the construction of a home. However there is one publication that does reference all of these standards. What is that publication AND where in that publication can these references be found listed all together?