Rafters to Truss application

Originally Posted By: mroach
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I ran into a new home today that had the rafters laying down where they connected with the trusses. This was on the hip portion of the roof. Does any body know the code issues on this?

Thanks'
Mark

--
Mark Roach
A Professional Home Inspection
TREC# 6467
http://www.aprofessionalhomeinspection.com
"Your Best Protection is a Professional Home Inspection"
Klien Volunteer Fireman

Originally Posted By: mbailey

Mark,

Your pictures are not visible.

--
Mark Bailey
Stonegate Property Inspections LLC
Ponca, NE

I don’t know why they are not showing. I have uploaded them twice. I can email them to any one willing to give me a hand.

Thanks'
Mark

--
Mark Roach
TREC# 6467
Klien Volunteer Fireman

See several pics below Gerrys

Thanks'
Mark

--
Mark Roach
TREC# 6467
Klien Volunteer Fireman

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

Hi Mark, good to see you on the boards, it has been a while.

The problem with your images is the size is too big you tried to post them at 1200 x 900 pixels which is to big here they are at 450 x 333:

![](upload://riEIpFsJ3X7tLZgLq5p9fPcYdB4.jpeg)

and yes that installation looks all wrong, maybe Rob O'connor or one of our other smart guys can tell you if it is wrong

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jhorton

Man is that ever wrong! The strenght of a 2x4 is in the 4 inch side, not the 2". If the had done that in the house I am building they would be rippinging it out and then fired!

Jeff <*\><

The man who tells the truth doesn’t have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: rhinck

all need to be reading and learning every day.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Heads Up Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: Larry L Leesch

We call those filler trusses and from the pictures appear to be correctly installed. They basically form out the hip of the roof. Considering the “field expertise” in the construction industry, a builder can no longer assume that a framer knows how to build a hip roof correctly. Hence, the filler truss.

Thanks’ Gerry I tend to do more lurking than posting.

Larry and Rick, If this is the correct way of doing it could y'all please let me know where to find this information. Every construction book that I have shows the truss application to be different. I want to make sure that my clients receive the correct information.

Thanks' to all
Mark

--
Mark Roach
TREC# 6467
Klien Volunteer Fireman

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Looking at the pics it’s not really clear whats going on with that framing. Do ya have any better overall pics of the other framing. Something doesn’t look right, but it’s hard to tell.

Flatwise 2x4 rafters spaced about 24" apart can't span very far, even for a house in TX without any real snow loading. Model codes like the IRC still require roof framing to support a nominal roof live load (e.g. 20 psf).

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Here are some more pictures

![](upload://negQZgP2eZfkm6V0o63bSyOhCft.jpeg)

Thanks'
Mark

--
Mark Roach
TREC# 6467
Klien Volunteer Fireman

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

looks like the same picture icon_question.gif

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Larry L Leesch

Mark,

When these trusses were delivered, there were a set of plans from the engineer at the truss plant that shows EXACTLY how they are to be installed. I would suggest asking the builder or super on the job for these. Although the pictures appear to have them correctly installed, without the truss engineers plans, you would be guessing. The trusses either have a tag with a part number or they will have a number stamped on them for the correct order of installation. If it is a two story house, some of the floor trusses may be point loaded and MUST be installed in the correct place and orientation. If this is a panelwall house, make sure that all interior dimensions are on the money or it won’t work correctly. If the house has fingerjoint studs, they cannot be kerfed or blocked if stamped “for vertical use only”. Also, fingerjoint studs cannot be used for any bracing/blocking other than vertical. Texas is still using IRC 2000 so remember that studs cannot be kerfed or notched more than 25% on edges and 40% in the middle. Fingerjoint studs cannot be drilled or notched at the fingerjoint. If you have any other new construction questions, it’s all I do.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Larry L Leesch wrote:
Although the pictures appear to have them correctly installed, without the truss engineers plans, you would be guessing.

Nothing really jumps out at me either, except the framing looks light for my area with heavier roof snow loading. Also I would tend to agree with Rick that those flatwise 2x4's appear to be nailers ... maybe braces too. But ya really have to be up close and personal to get a "feel" for anything being wrong, especially with truss framing like that. If something else is really rubbing you the wrong way other than it just being truss framing, you might be right and may want to go with your gut feeling. But if it's something specific, fire away.

P.S. Nice "duct hangers" too ... ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Read Larry’s post over and over again. I see these trusses installed everyday. There is nothing wrong with this installation, assuming that the required bracing is in place in accordance with the design spec’s.

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Thanks’ for all the help guy’s.

Mark

--
Mark Roach
TREC# 6467
Klien Volunteer Fireman

Originally Posted By: pdacey

roconnor wrote:
Also I would tend to agree with Rick that those flatwise 2x4's appear to be nailers ... maybe braces too.

Winner! That's what they be. See it every day down here where we don't have to worry about snow loads. It kills two birds with one stone. The trusses need bracing and because of the orientation of the truss to the sheathing you also need nailers. So they put them on top of the truss to do both. The truss carries all of the weight.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com