Range Hoods and Exhaust Ducts

More important than any code. CLEAN the DAMN filter. I dont know how many times i put out a fire for that simple reason. Somebody has a grease fire, they lift the flaming pan/pot off the stove and boom the rangehood is on fire! Been to quite a bit of those trust me!

2 Likes

Originally Posted by jfunderburk http://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif
*How do you do that in a slab home when the range is not on an exterior wall? *

JF: It’s called a downdraft vent that is still vented to the exterior w/ 6" PVC piping roughed in before slab pour.

You beat me to it.
Most of my new construction inspections have the cooktop on the island with the downdraft vent to the exterior.

Will, maybe you can help me here, with an opinion that is relating to my issue. You mention on your post about new construction inspections, so I hope you can relate. I used a comment from one of the courses here that stated- (InterNachi qoute) “*Remember when evaluating homes with gas ranges or cook tops that gas code requires they be vented to the building exterior through a hard-ducted vent. Re circulating models do not satisfy the code requirement.” *
I have had a neighborhood (lots of referrals) with a lot of warranty inspections that I have done that the clients weren’t happy with their gas cooktop recirculating ventahood (not vented to outside). So I have qouted in the reports- the InterNational Association of Home Inspectors as stating that: “Remember when evaluating homes with gas ranges or cook tops that gas code requires they be vented to the building exterior through a hard-ducted vent. Re circulating models do not satisfy the code requirement.” this being to these people that are countingg on me and don’t want to here that I’m not a code compliance inspector since I qouted the Nachi claim that actually does qoute gas code. So Will, my question to you is how would you handle this.

Joe, here is the dilemma…You said the “C” word, but did not back it up with an actual code quote (which could or could not be a good thing) and this could be a potential problem as you already know we are not code compliance inspectors…

First of all, why are your clients wanting this to be rectified? Are they having real issues with their kitchens venting properly? Or are they just freaked out because of the “Re circulating models do not satisfy the code requirement” statement?

Here is an option and it won’t be great IF the builder installed appliances in accordance with the manufacturers instructions and IF in these cases they do not require the use of a range hood venting to the exterior.

If you know what the appliances are and their model# and serial#, you can do some research to find out how the manufacturer wants its appliances vented (if not, either you call the buyers or go to their places). Also, make sure the exception that allows ductless range hoods aren’t violated by the builder.

From there and if all is installed the right way, you do the right thing and tell your clients that although you disagree and think it would be better practice to have the hood vented to the exterior because it improves air quality (by removing combustion products, moisture, grease, and heat etc…) there is an exception (and give them the exception), and the builder did install the appliances according to manufacturer’s instructions. So, they need not worry.

or

After having done the research on the appliances and you find out the builder installed them correctly, you can go back to your client and simply say: I did some research on your specific appliances and they indeed do not require having the range hood vented to the exterior because you have mechanical or natural ventilation provided.

Or

You could gamble (and this is NOT what I would do) and quote the articles that Joe F. pasted at the end of his post#3 as well as Ben’s in post#6 and see what the builder says. But then it might make matter worse if the builder comes back with the exception rule.

Let us know how it turns out!

1 Like

Thanx Will,
I’ve got another warranty inspection coming up today in the same neighborhood, same builder and will get the range and hood info to review manufacturers requirements, instructions.

So you would recommend that in an existing home? I doubt many home inspectors do inspections before the slab is poured. :mad:

1 Like

Joe alot of my inspections are new home construction inspections, so I do alot of slab pre pour inspections. If a client emails me the house plan PDF than I can verify rough ins, in addition to just inspection of slab components off the engineered foundation plan.
If on an existing home a vent is not present for cooktop at island, I will call it out. I’m not going to recommend anything. But it should of had down draft vent to exterior. I would call it out as a deficiency.

So, how did it turn out?

At my warranty inspection today (same builder, neighborhood & appliances) as the others w/ this situation I checked the appliance booklets, instructions. Couldn’t really find anything claryfing recirculating exhaust vents could be used in lieu of exterior vented.
After that inspection I went by the clients house that has been pushing the issue with builder. From my inspection report the builder had responded to client about issue with the copied page of the IRC (sec.1503) with the exception clause highlighted that the manufacturer specs could allow recirculating vents. But as I discussed with client they or I have not been able to find in manual anything that allows and even addresses recirculating vents in lieu of vented to exterior. So, I told client they should have builder show them where in the manufacturers specs it states anything that makes the exception apply.
Client also had called manufacturer about issue and was told “we’ll get back to you”. A few days later after follow up call to manufacturer they were told “We are looking into it”.
That’s were it all stands now.

1 Like

I think you are misunderstanding when the exception applies.

It is stating that recirculating hoods are permitted if the hood designed as such and listed for the purpose.

The exception is addressing the manufacturer of the hood not the cooking appliance.

Thanx, Mike
At this point client is just wanting verification of that, from Builder and Manufacturer, which hasn’t come yet in any form to their satisfaction.

Edit/add on : *(Mikes Qoute)= “The exception is addressing the manufacturer of the hood not the cooking appliance.” *
Mike it’s the same manufacturer of all appliances for home :D.

I think outside exhaust will be great.

On this site you will find all kinds of best range hoods.

I agree. I do the same and get push back everytime from builders and agents. I DO NOT CARE…this is where their opinion and my opinion clash…then we move on.

SPAM

Got it…:cool:

A new study out of UCLA’s Fielding School of Public Health, titled

“Effects of Residential Gas Appliances on Indoor and Outdoor Air Quality" Dr. Yifang Zhu

https://coeh.ph.ucla.edu/effects-of-residential-gas-appliances-on-indoor-and-outdoor-air-quality-and-public-health-in-california/

1 Like

From them article

This report contributes to a growing body of research quantifying the air quality and health impacts from the use of gas appliances in households, and highlights several potential benefits, both health-related and economic, of residential electrification throughout the state of California.

Best work on that grid (forest fires). Wood burning is the greatest pollutant.

2 Likes

Fires have a huge health impact. But at least they’re periodic. Gas combustion impacts are chronic.

Hard to run a utility when you’re literally asked to run FIRE through KINDLING. Massive tree death, and a climate where in a good year it does not rain at all – zero rain – for eight to nine months straight?

Right, so you have to manage the forest to mitigate the risk. Or manage safety of the utility.

Chronic health risks of gas stoves vs acute health risks of a forest fire.

Does not sound like the utility company is ready to respond to either.