Repair method

I have a question.
If my house is wired with an old two wire system, what can I do, without re-wiring, to protect the circuits.

This is another one of those (I already know the answer) questions isn’t it? Anyway, I’ll play along.

The circuits are likely already protected by either a fuse or breaker system. You probably mean to protect people or equipment plugged into the electrical system but that’s not what you asked.:stuck_out_tongue:

Your right paul, and I should re-word it.
I do mean to protect people or equipment plugged into it.

Not sure what you mean by “protect the circuits” but you could keep them all 2 prong unless you need GFCI protection then install it…GFCI’s don’t use the ground to work but they’ll fool some testers 'cause most testers use the grounding conductor.

How about a boot legged ground, do you think that will fool a tester?

My tester picks up bootleg (false) grounds. . .

To protect people from electricution - GFCI

To protect people from fire - AFCI

To protect the equipment - run a separate ground wire

To protect the wires from overload - fuses or breakers

To protect the wires from mice - metal conduit

Install a three prong on the outlet in question and if possible run a green ground wire to the panel and ground it there, or I believe you are permitted to run the ground wire to a grounded incoming water line (metal). Alternatively you can replace the receptacle with a GFCI outlet, even though there is still no ground it is the next best thing if you can’t run a ground.

I am not sure I understand the concept of posting questions if you already know the answer…hmmm…Guess I have been teaching college kids to long but they dont ask questions unless they really dont know the answer.

Takes up valuable time answering questions that a person already knows the answer to…in my opinion.

[quote=pabernathy]
I am not sure I understand the concept of posting questions if you already know the answer…hmmm…Guess I have been teaching college kids to long but they dont ask questions unless they really dont know the answer.

I guess you miss being the teacher, deal with it!!!
this question was asked me, amd one of the ways I told the person to get answers, was to go on the NACHI board.

I would take the SAME chill pill you asked me to take Tyrone…I was refering to the response from another that questioned the question…

No I dont miss being the teacher…was to many anyway…But I think it must be a Canadian thing…oh well.

P.S…Oh…dont worry…I wont attempt to teach ya anything again…:slight_smile:

I would make sure that the existing system was not tampered with, tighten all connections, replace damaged devices, fixtures, check for overloads, etc

I attached some information from the public domain:

:cool:

Joe, you da man! Thanks!!!

Also think about adding a GFCI to the first receptacle in the stream or in the panel for added protection as well.