Repirators and other tools

Hi All,
I am new to the industry and was wondering what brand/type of respirators you would reccomend, for doing inspections here in Florida? Also curious how often do you need to use one in your day to day?
What other gear (specialty or not) do you always keep in your tool kit to make your life better/safer as HI in Florida?
Thanks!

Regarding a respirator I’ve worn them many times in my career as a professional electrician. If you are considering wearing one you should consider a few factors starting with your physical ability to wear one and then your access to a fit test. No one should be buying a respirator from Home Depot and wearing one on the job. Here’s some good information regarding respirators that you should consider before wearing one.

Fit Test FAQs | NPPTL | NIOSH | CDC.

6 Likes

While I’m new this year, I have not found the need to wear one yet. I’ve been in a couple crawls under manufactured homes, but that was the oddball, not the norm and both were dry.

Most attics in Florida are dry with the occasional rodent droppings, but you don’t need to be up there all that long. Most attics I’ve been in are so full of insulation you couldn’t get to the other side without degrading the insulation and risk putting your foot through the ceiling, so I don’t go.

I’ve been thinking of rigging up a long pole for my 360 camera with a light for the occasional “what is that” moment.

1 Like

Many may disagree, but I don’t have and have never needed a respirator on a home inspection. I do have some simple dust masks like might be worn when sanding drywall. In fact i wore them when covid was a big issue. Did they help? I never caught covid, but i think it reassured clients and renters i met at different properties.

Other tools, a good flashlight (chinese rechargeable LED work fine - easily replaced if lost) and a Klein 12 way screwdriver (in the electrical section). I have a rechargeable screwdriver but rarely use it. Camera is a must, i have several and a go pro on a pole. Decent ladders. I see guys with telesteps but i dont trust them. Theres lots of other stuff added and used occasionally but that’s the most. I did have a tool pouch but it got to pullin down my trousers so i have a little shoulder pouch AARP sent me (carries more stuff- less trips to the truck). Once you get going you’ll figure out what you truly need and the rest stays in the truck.

2 Likes

I concur. Good post, Robert.
Air borne particulates. Mold: N-95 respirator or N-95 mask.

As a home inspector I use my respirator in the attic or crawlspace. Prevention and a pound of cure.
The limit your ability to breathe adequately.

Thanks for your reply.
I have been looking at ladders. I love the LilGiant type that convert from step to extension, but find they are usually on the unweildy side for me, so am leaning toward a smaller step ladder for indoor and extension for outside.
What height would you reccomend?

Thanks Robert. I know getting a good fit is key when picking a respirator. I’ll be sure to to look at the link you posted.

I use a Werner 22 foot that fits in my Honda CRV. When I use it as an extension, I pull one of the “bases” off. Just slide it down and off.

Since that’s a little heavy for you, did you try the 18 footer? I have the 14 foot one as well and it’s really not enough.

I use my 22’ in A frame to climb into attics that either have no ladder or one of those cheeseball wooden ones that feel ready to collapse.

1 Like

Do you really think an N95 mask would be is ok?
I fee like a full blown quality respirator (read: expensive), may be a little more than is really needed for the job? At least at first.

So in your estimation an 18’ is sort of minimum to be useful?

Definitely get a small, light step ladder for inside. That, paired with a light combo ladder or telescoping ladder, will get you into most attics. You don’t want to be carrying something big and heavy through the house.

I use the two below for indoors.

1 Like

Yes. It is better than nothing. Ear plugs as well. Full PPE.

I use full face respirator. 3M™ Full Facepiece Reusable Respirator, 6800DIN. ><$400.00.
I use to suite up but I do not crawl in highly suspect areas any more. I have been very ill from entering attics.

1 Like

Understand that an 18’ ladder is 4 step when it’s in the lowest position. Plenty to get on roofs. You can extend a 14’ out enough to get on a roof, but I feel like the top doesn’t stick up far enough.

1 Like

Here’s the mask I use in attics and crawlspaces. I get a new one on average once a year.

NeoMask - Neoprene Carbon Safety Mask - Multi-Purpose Dust Mask - Safety Masks - Amazon.com

1 Like

Never had my head up anyone’s ass nor my own so never needed one. :rofl:

1 Like

I used the same as Kevin for attics and crawlspaces that I entered.

I just changed the filter often.

• Standard equipped activated carbon cloth filter reduces and eliminates inhalation of organic vapors, dust, and other airborne particles, including those that may contain oil.
3 Likes

I use this 3M model if needed for crawl spaces and attics. Although @rmeier2 makes a good point about proper fitting, I would be more concerned about that in more hazardous situations besides a standard CS or attic. Meth homes will warrant better protection.

5 Likes

Using a respirator is highly recommended in any attic, the type of respirator that you need varies widely depending on the existing conditions at the property you’re inspecting.

2 Likes

Oh crud I hadn’t even thought about meth labs… which let’s be honest is a very real and common thing here in the Sunshune State. I am trying to imagine a scenario though in which you would be inspecting such a house, and that information wouldn’t be disclosed to you up front. Has this happened to you? What did you do?!

I haven’t come across a full blown lab as of yet, just some suspicious observances that couldn’t be verified. I would recommend taking this course just to give you knowledge and help if you do come across this situation.

3 Likes