RESNET joins forces with InterNACHI.

Agreed, you will get a better ROI with air ceiling.

Brian, I remember one job I did for the state where the auditor called to install a cover for the sump pump. So I covered it with PT plywood, nothing in the standards describes what to use but since they only paid $75.00 to do it I figured the cost was about right.

Well the senior auditor said no good. Has to be covered with Lexan. I said WHAT!!! are you for real? A piece of Lexan is twice what your willing to pay to cover the hole, never mind labor!!! His response was " you can’t put PT inside someones house " I said, the basement is NOT!!! living space and if you don’t think it’s OK then why is the first plate on the foundation PT!!!

He said he would let it go this time.

Boy the more I think about it ???

What is air ceilng? :wink:

YEPP!

Why can’t they do that now James.
If I had an IR camera I would be charging more and inventing how to sell it uses and open a new methodology of sales and practices for that edevice.
It is a simple as that.
Its sales man-ship and how YOU PERCEIVE YOUR WORTH.
Sell yourself and reinvent, to plain inventing from scratch.

As for that minimum standard OR having to be a builder to be a HI.
That is too blanket a statement to make, also being exclusionary.
Example.
To look at a standard as a minimum or maximum is measuring.
That certification or license you have obtained to provide a service is statement enough that you are qualified.
Its like saying minimum code.
Its code or in violation of.
As to the minimum HI standard, you have passed a test and are certified through , or CERTIFIED TO belong to that association or not.
Calling myself a certified residential building inspector is a description of myself in order to answer any potential costumers questions about my merit. I also explain my building experience and embellish my main selling points with honest and simple fact.
I am inventing a name and hope it can be used to bring the TRADE FORWARD.
You call yourself what you want , home inspector, king of Sheba its OK with me.I am a residential building inspector and Certified.
Knowing where to draw that or cross that legal line is challenged daily in an effort to describe a title, position, describe area of expertize, etc.
So when you start trying to put everything into a title, description, designation, level, accreditation when there is no need at the moment, it only frustrates me.
Your are endlessly trying to put everything into a classification.or level for some needless intellectual recognition, when everything has been satisfactorily defined already.
If its not broken then do not fix it.

I am so happy to see this and cannot wait for it to happen. Some of these energy rating organizations have been trying to live in there “Walled garden” and I am thankful for Nachi in helping us to get in. For monthes I have been watching and waiting to see which one of the two dominate energy audit organizations would be the most generally accepted. BPI definatly more technical,but as a home inspector I think it is a bit much. Seems to me that doing things like an air door test is useless unless you are going to make improvements and then verify results. I do not need an air door to tell me that a 1970 era home is going to leak air-it is. I would use one before and after doing air infiltration improvements to verify effectiveness, but not just to give me some number to put on a report.

As for some energy auditors recommending cfl’s during an audit- you should- not just for the electricty they save on lighting, but the savings of taking the heat by product of incandescent lamps off your cooling budget.

Very much enjoy these forums and the opinions expressed, Rich

BUMP