roof vents related

Originally Posted By: s walter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m thinking of adding more roof vents. Will doing this make the roof weak?

If I don't have enough soffit vents, is it better to use roof vents and not the ridge vent?

Are ridge vents much better than the traditional roof vents? If so, why?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

SWalter,

A continuous ridge vent can be superior to standard (box) roof vents as it allows a continuous (long) opening at the ridge of the roof. This facilitates air flow into the soffit vents and out of the ridge vent when wind blows over the ridge. I would recommend adding soffit vents (as you mentioned you did not have enough) and installing a continuous ridge vent.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Michael D Thomas

Recent research at the University of Illinois suggestd that roof venting does not work to way most of us expect.

See, for example:

http://oikos.com/esb/30/atticvent.html

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

You need to have 1 sq. ft. of free ventilation space for every 150 sq. ft. of attic space. Do you have that now?

Originally Posted By: lewens

I’m going to jump in on the other side of the equation and say personally I would never install a ridge vent on a building. I am a firm believer in standard box vets mounted as high as possible on the roof to the ratio of 1sq ft to 150sq ft of roof. In addition you can never have too much soffit venting. The ideal is to have the interior of the attic space the same temp. as the outside, a very hard thing to accomplish on a very hot day.

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

A minimum of 1sq ft to 300 sq ft of the insulated ceiling area. More is better of course. The 1/150 ratio is for low sloped roofs.

The 1sq ft to 300sq ft should be split between lower and upper venting. So approx 1/2sq ft to 300sq ft of soft vent and 1/2sq ft to 300sq ft for upper venting.

I personally like ridge venting. Although there are some ridge vents that just aren't designed very well and can not only allow rain/snow to enter but can also create a negative preasure as wind blows over top of the peak. I have found the Cobra system to perform well.

No turbine vents!

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !