Rusted stucco weep screed

Thanks, I agree. This is not the only area rusted, this is happening around almost the entire perimeter of the home.

There may be a water intrusion issue higher up on the wall/windows; look higher. A small rust issue may not be of a concern, but this one is larger. Most securing materials and flashings being used are aluminum and/or galvinized. I would go as high as checking guttering/drip edges/window flashings.

Seems as though that would indicate that the rust is not inconsequential, but a widespread issue.

Professional is required here…

Probably rusty when it was installed.

When I look “harder,” I see rusted weep-screed. Like Brian said, probably damaged during installation.

Moisture “gets behind” stucco anytime there is moisture present - stucco is porous and absorbs moisture. The weep screed simply directs the moisture away from the interior as it exits the stucco.

I never get stucco (of course now I will)

Does one just recommend a regular Mason?

Seems more like a plaster type trade.

it is it’s own animal

Yep.

Like asking a plumber to frame a house.

Hi,
First time posting, AND I do realize that the OP is from 10 years ago.
That being said, my best guess:
The stucco installers flattened the weep screed a bit to save on materials, causing the screed to be way too visible. House was painted, along with the bottom (!) of the weep screed. (the bottom of the weep screed should not be so visible.) Paint flaked off galvanized screed. Painters came back and etched galvanized screed so paint would stick. Galvanization removed means paint is responsible for rust protection. Paint chips off. Unprotected metal rusts. Basically a series of solutions causing more problems. Happens way too often. Previous posters have indicated the solution. Remove rust. Apply rust preventative. (Rustoleum rusty metal primer could work.) Paint to match house. Good luck!

i agree with brain.