S trap

Does anyone have good verbage for this.

Thanks

S trap not allowed.
May siphon water from trap in this configuration and needs to be evaluated by a Licensed Plumber.

I doesn’t need any more “evaluation,” it needs to be corrected.

The drain line installation is improper and should be corrected by a qualified plumber.

Just had to push me in the back eh.:slight_smile:

I still use evaluated interchangeably

S traps are ok in some areas , from what I have read Jeff, so I like evaluated.

Another reason I use evaluated is because something needs to be decided as to how it will be corrected.

I Hope that makes sense.

I just think the “E” word is used way too often. It’s already been evaluated (by the inspector) and determined to be wrong. You don’t need another professional to confirm it, unless you’re unsure.

S-traps have never been allowed by model codes, so I’m not sure how they are OK in some areas, but then again, I’m not in IL, so I’ll let you have that one. . .

Not pushin’, just offering another opinion.

I am in the middle of a report or I would look for the verbage Jeff.
I found some sites that said that ,when researching that other recent s trap thread.

Something about the one piece manufactured S traps being different (though not the case here)

Funny thing is I rarely ever use the term evaluated myself.Not being there to sort of see how I would fix it if I were the imaginary plumber, may cause me to use that term here.

So you win:)

Several “S” trap drain configurations were observed during the course of inspection. In many locations, “S” traps are no longer accepted by the plumbing codes as these traps tend to easily siphon dry even when well-vented. It is recommended that further evaluation be obtained from a qualified plumbing contractor familiar with the local building codes. Repair or replacement should be conducted by a qualified plumbing contractor. The following link provides detailed information about proper drain configurations.
http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/publications/books/housing/cha09.htm

Interesting that according to plumbing code you are not required to update .
http://books.google.com/books?id=czUEHeREbDgC&pg=PT31&lpg=PT31&dq=proper+s+traps&source=web&ots=UEtl3O723d&sig=u2zI_1imq_YKjsLlCDa5R-u7ZL0&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#PPT31,M1

In my reports I make it a health and safety issue.

www.mauihomeinspections.com

s traps have been proven to be problematic with the admission of sewer gasses to the home… it would be advisable to have any s traps removed and replaced by a qualified plumbing contractor…

Anyone dis-agree?..
The eyes have it.

Aye,

[size=2][FONT=TTFF4B4EC0t00]“S” Trap(s) were present at “location”.
[/FONT][/size][FONT=TTFFA98F90t00][size=2]Traps prevent odorous [/size][/FONT][size=2][FONT=TTFFA98F90t00]sewage gases from entering the housethrough the sink and tub drains. There are two basic types of traps. “P” traps discharge is horizontal rather than vertical. The liquid seal is dependable. [/size][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=TTFFA98F90t00]“S”Traps, these traps are almost impossible to [/size][/FONT][size=2][FONT=TTFFA98F90t00]vent properly. The 3/4 “S’ trap forms a perfect siphon. Older building codes did not address this issue, but they are not allowed in any modern day building codes[/FONT][/size]

[FONT=TTFF4B4EC0t00][size=2][FONT=TTFF4B4EC0t00][size=2]I recommend that only a reputable, licensed plumber make assessments, repaired or corrected as appropriate.[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

It’s in the aye of the beholder.