Sidewall vent for natural draft heater.

Originally Posted By: rmoore
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Need a little help here. I’m actually calling this for the vent being below an openable bedroom window, but…

Even ssuming the window wasn't there, this wouldn't OK, would it? I've never seen a natural draft (w/draft hood) heater vent through a wall into this sort of exterior vent. Doesn't look like an appropriate terminus to be up against siding. It did seem to be drafting fine (no fogging of a mirror at the hood) but it strikes me that if this was kosher I'd see more hooked up like this. The slope was just OK although the angle of the photo does make it look bad. Thoughts?

BTW...don't you love the way the TPR stares you right in the eye!

![](upload://6XEauDqh5afgVqk6MgDp6yiDdR7.jpeg)

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: tlempe

vents must terminate where combustion products will not reenter the building and proper flow of flue gasses will not be impeded by wind acting on the building. That beind said, I believe DV appliances allow sidewall venting but still must terminate 5ft above the draft hood.

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

Also shouldn’t the cold and hot pipes be bonded?

Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.

–Kahlil Gibran

Tim…

This wasn't a direct vent heater. To my knowledge (and all the ones I've seen) those do not have a draft hood. They have a intake/exhaust system similar to a DV gas fireplace.

Vince...

You are correct although around here you wouldn't be able to tell from the photo. The bonding jumper is usually applied above the (seismic) flex connectors. Strapping was missing too. Grounding and bonding were all screwed up. Single GEC was clamped halfway to plumbing and then went to ground rod. Trouble is that the piping enters the home at the other side of the house. But that's another issue. No problem...the roof of this home will probably collapse first. ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Needs to be 8’ from the wall, or 2’ above it.

I like the straight in shot into the T&P valve opening.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

BTW.

That is some strange looking grass in the picture icon_eek.gif

Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.

–Kahlil Gibran

Vince Santos wrote:
BTW.
That is some strange looking grass in the picture ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

LOL...not grass. One of our annoyance weeds. Dont know the name for it but they shoot out of even the smallest cracks. Gardening in the spring in the northwest consists mostly of pulling weeds before they get big enough to attack you.

--
Richard Moore
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com