Smoke Detectors

Originally Posted By: dbowers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Kevin -

You're right about your licensing law requiring an inspector to check smoke detectors - before your licensing law went into effect the real estate agents had to check them prior to closing, but they were looking for scrapegoats - you were it.

For your information I know 3 of the guys that were on the committee that drafted your law. I'm told this is one of the things they don't usually test but they disclaim it in their reports.

Read my earlier post about ceilings, etc. I run into a great amount of large houses (5,000 - 9,000 sf) where I couldn't even begin to haul a long enough extension ladder into the house to check the smoke detectors.

Like Scott Patterson said, my standard comment is to recommend they be checked immediately before move-in and install new batteries or new detectors - Its in my clients best interest.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Scott Patterson wrote:
... always recommend replacement of the smoke detectors with the sale of the house. They are too cheap not to replace and most are useless after five to seven years, some even less.

I second that notion ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Also don't forget a CO and Gas detector ... the CO detector is required by local codes prior to closing in my neck of the woods.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: jpeck

That’s what I’ve been saying for years. The HI cannot REALLY test smoke detectors, and anything they do to try to test them can only get them in trouble.

However, putting our (the HIs) inability to be able to test the smoke detectors onto our clients is not good for our clients. If the HI cannot make a good test, how on earth can the client?

Like Scott said. recommend replacing them. Even larger homes with 6 bedrooms and smoke detectors inside and outside each bedroom (that's 12 for those who are counting), at even $50 each (including paying someone to replace them), that is a minimal cost as related to the cost of the house and the safety of the occupants. Yes, that is $600, but on a house half that size it is only $300, and even less if there are no smoke detectors in the bedrooms, just outside them, now it's only $150. Really is not that much, is it?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida