Smoke Detectors

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:
Smoke Detectors

CREIA warns that working smoke detectors are the concern of everyone in the real estate transaction July 2004 (Palm Springs, Calif) ?? The California Real Estate Inspection Association wants homeowners, homebuyers and their real estate representatives to be aware that the disclosure and transfer of proper working smoke detectors is the responsibility of all.

As the oldest and largest state home inspection professional association in the country, CREIA is concerned about the fire hazard of nonworking and faulty smoke detectors. It is because of the high priority we place on a home?s occupants and their safety that a professional home inspector will report on the presence, absence, and location of smoke detectors in a home. However, a home inspector?s report is a generalist?s overview of the property?s systems and components at the time of the inspection. Since it is not unusual for a period of time (and sometimes an extensive period of time) to pass between when the inspection occurred and when a buyer (or subsequent purchaser) takes possession of the property, it is unwise and unsafe for a home inspector to report on the working status of smoke detectors present. Such a report could create a dangerous sense of ?false security? about the condition of the detector.

It is imperative that those present at the final walkthrough ? before the keys are turned over ? make sure the smoke detectors are working. California law requires the seller to transfer a home with proper working smoke detectors. The seller and the buyer are required to sign the Smoke Detector Statement of Compliance (available from the California Association of REALTORS? at www.CAR.org) prior to close of escrow. The homebuyer, homeowner and their real estate representatives need to make sure that this law is complied with prior to the completion of the sale at the final walkthrough.

CREIA remains firmly committed to looking out for the health and safety of homeowners. It is because we place such a high priority on the lives of those who will inhabit a home, that we urge all home sellers, buyers and their real estate agents to take a proactive role in complying with this important legal requirement. CREIA inspectors will continue to comment on the presence, absence, and location of smoke detectors in a home, but the working condition of this important home component must be looked after by those involved at the final transfer.

Any comments?

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: tallen

I do not check them. I put in my report.

We do not evaluate smoke detectors as part of our service. However, they are an important safety feature that is required in many jurisdictions, and should be installed or certified as being compliant before the close of escrow.

Along with a couple other disclaimers in the contract and in the "general" area of the report.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: charper

I check them all. My jurusdiction requires them, and within 10 ft of sleeping quarters in a hallway. They may not be IN a bedroom.

They either work or don’t work.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I do and always will report on a smoke detector not working or that it was functioning at the time the inspection was performed. I also hand out a smoke detector pamphlet from the cpsc which instructs people to test monthly and replace the batteries yearly.

That in itself should cover you if anything happens…even if it’s a month before they move in and the battery dies.

You know, the car insurance industry warns that driving your car increases the chances of getting in an accident. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)
Can't live life worrying that something bad is going to happen...just do your best and the rest should work itself out in your favor.

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: dharris

What is the proper way to determine if a smoke dector works or not?

Yes there is a test button,but HI supply companys sell smoke cans to check them

Q #2 Are smoke dectors required to be on there own breaker/ seperate circuit or can they be on a general lighting circuit

Light a wooden match, blow it out and stick it up to the detector…it should go off.

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

The simplest approach for smoke detectors that will not get you into any trouble is to always recommend replacement of the smoke detectors with the sale of the house. They are too cheap not to replace and most are useless after five to seven years, some even less.

My policy is not to test and to recommend replacement of all smoke detectors when a house is sold.

Originally Posted By: cradan

who’s got an aversion to claiming that a component is serviceable when they simply don’t or can’t know it.

Chris

http://www.inspect4me.com

Chicago Illinois Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Scott had a good comment.

How about the smoke detectors mounted near the peak of a vaulted or cathedral ceiling 15' to 16' or taller up in the air (in the middle of a room). Who is going to get their 12' tall step ladder to get up there cause there is nothing to rest the 17' or 19' LG or extension ladder against to test it.

Nope, don't think so.

Now I think I’m starting to understand how someone can inspect a home in 1 1/2 hours. icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

kmcmahon wrote:
Now I think I'm starting to understand how someone can inspect a home in 1 1/2 hours. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Kevin I detect a little sarcasm in your post, as in most of them.

Telling your customer to replace some $7 smoke detectors is not a way that I would use to speed up the inspection process. This is just doing what is best for your customer. Sure it might make a homeowner mad or parish the thought that it might even make the real estate agent mad but this is what is best for my customer.

Scott

Just a little bit of sarcasm.

I can see putting a statement in that says “Test monthly and replace batteries yearly. Smoke detectors have an effective life of 8 to 10 years and we recommend replacement if this unit is at or near that age. Contact current homeowner to determine when these units were installed”.

You should still test the units. IMO

It’s required in my state to test all units.

dharris wrote:

Q #2 Are smoke dectors required to be on there own breaker/ seperate circuit or can they be on a general lighting circuit

I don't think it would matter as they have a battery backup in case of power failure.

--

Originally Posted By: cbuell

Kevin,

many of the hardwired detectors don’t have battery backup.

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

dharris wrote:
Are smoke dectors required to be on there own breaker/ seperate circuit or can they be on a general lighting circuit

As far as the NEC is concerned it can be separate or on any general purpose branch circuit, they can be on with lights and or receptacles.

Many people feel it is better to run them from a lighting circuit as a lighting circuit will be fixed if it trips a breaker.

Others feel it is better to have the smoke alarm circuit separate.

Both ways meet the NEC but keep in mind local rules often exist with regards to smoke alarms.

There is talk that the 2005 NEC will allow smoke detectors in bedrooms not to be AFCI protected but do not quote me on that.

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

By the way and I know some will feel this is splitting hairs but I will explain the reason I point this out. icon_smile.gif

The smoke alarms used in most homes are not "Smoke Detectors" UL calls these units "Smoke Alarms"

What UL calls smoke detectors have no 'noise maker" and need to be connected to a fire alarm panel, think commercial fire alarm systems.

What we use in a typical house are self contained interconnect-able "Smoke Alarms"

Why do I think it is important to know this?

The power suppling UL smoke detectors is required to be a separate circuit and have battery back up.

The power supply for UL smoke alarms have no such requirement. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Bob, you are right and we should be using the term “alarm” instead of detector" I guess it’s just a common term used.

Charles…you’re right. as I’ve learned, nothing is absolute and there are exceptions to everything. I shouldn’t have stated it like I did. icon_wink.gif

I am very likely to call the smoke alarms in my home smoke detectors, I think it is pretty common to do. icon_lol.gif

The only reason I bring it up at all is because the requirements for smoke alarms are much different than for smoke detectors.

I am not so anal to care what anyone comes them in a conversation. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Happy 4th All

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum