SOP on structural components

Good! You need two things…humility and determination. You will be proven wrong more than you like and it will take determination not to let it happen again. And for the record, these salty highly experienced inspectors really appreciate a “thank you for sharing” because they do not get paid for sharing their hard earned wisdom on this site.

You gave reached the point in your training where you are book smart. But, it will not translate to the field, yet. I hope you can connect with a good mentor, it will mean more than anything you have studied or accomplished to date.

Sure, anyone can run around and point out negative slope, handrails on steps or a faulty GFCI receptacle. Just wait, you’ll see.

4 Likes

Carry on, David. Better than the covid/vaccine posts. :grinning:

6 Likes

Oh yes, I’m very aware of this and I think I have found a mentor. I start on Tuesday. Yay!! I’m looking forward to learning about it for real in the real world.

3 Likes

I really don’t know how to tell everyone how much I appreciate all the responses I’m getting. Even some of the more salty comments are actually quite helpful beneath it all. Rather than posing more thank you comments I just give them a thumbs up. Maybe I should be more direct though?

2 Likes

Mentor in your area?

1 Like

I would say yes, especially considering the sheer volume of your post.

4 Likes

Yes, well, within 100 miles which is close enough. A decent salt of the earth pastor/inspector who respects the notion of changing careers and is willing to share his wisdom with a noob like me. I’m willing to drive the 200 mile round trip for that any day, every day.

3 Likes

Right on, glad it’s working out for you. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

3 Likes

In US English we say that we take an exam but in some other regions (Canada being one of them) they use the term “write an exam” as in an essay type format . However when the test is multiple choice (such as the NHIE) then “write an exam” sounds quite silly.

5 Likes

With the simple mind process exhibited, perhaps the husband of WAFI

3 Likes