Spelling Counts

Originally Posted By: dvalley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Frank,

R U still wiff us? How wuz that cup of tee wiff the quean? Did yu make it theya on tyme?
![](upload://wX6ea6OhFMDLi9KwHpDLIYJs6IF.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

tallen wrote:
Don't mind Bob he is just mean

Yeah darn right, so remember that. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Mean old Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

Spelling and correct grammar are important. I see dozens of reports every year that are involved in litigation that are poorly written; it is difficult to defend a home inspector when his or her reports look like they are the work of a sixth grader. For some reason home inspectors think that they need to increase the verbiage in their reports as if they are being paid by the word. I don?t know if this is to impress the client or just to impress themselves. Remember that it is better to use fewer words in your sentences when reporting your findings. More inspectors are hung in court over what they say and how they say it and not what they didn?t say.

If we (you, me and every other home inspector) proofed their reports three times and then had another person proof the report before they published it for all to see many of the issues of poor spelling and bad grammar would be a moot point.

I?m a terrible speller and my command of English grammar is not much better, but all of my reports are proofed before the final product is released. If you don?t have the ability of having your reports proofed by another person, try reading the report section by section from the beginning of the report then read it from the end of the report to the beginning. Sometimes when you read in reverse you will catch mistakes that you would never have seen, simply because you are looking at it from a different prospective.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Scott,

I could not agree more, although those spell checkers don't pick up on the wrong words that are spelled correctly, like no and know. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Now I wonder how I know that!!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Quote:
lol. In America, we use complete sentences. Not run on sentences.

LOL? Is that a word? I searche Webster's dictionary and got this:

Quote:
The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the search box to the right.

![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: kluce

OOOOPPPPPPSSS!!! The correct spelling is “run-on”. I forgot the hyphen. icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: dplummer

Now boys. play nice. Us Canadians use u alot. ie colour, odour ,flavour. Get it eh? DOUG

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Dan,

You silly man, you have to use the AOL dictionary for those types of words! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rwills

Elingsh

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it
deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod
are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the
frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset
can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit
porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed
ervey lteter by itslef but the wrod as a wlohe.

--
Bob Wills - MAB Chairman
BW Inspection Services
Warminster, Pa.
http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Very good point Robert.

I cuold still raed yuor post wihtout a prbolem. So why aer we all maknig an issue out uf this?

Let's just tipe it out!

Ahhh forgit about it.
![](upload://eU2rmJY0rqiSpJaXsVjujnOZkGZ.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: Frank Wils

Well, seems to be a popular post. Good to see that some received the message I was sending. As for the rest, very entertaining feedback.

Something tells me most of you will be checking your messages twice before submission. That's all anyone can ask.

Thanks for the spirited "conversation" ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

"Cheerio, Tally Ho, and all that"

Frank you still strike me as an a$%. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bob (AKA iwire)

ECN Discussion Forums

Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Bob,

I don't normally like to name call, but I must agree with you. What a pompous a$% Hole ![icon_exclaim.gif](upload://kW92MliyHA8ygoXI0UsgtBSn4ZO.gif)

Blaine with over 3000 posts on electrical forums I would say that was a first for me.

But I have always said what I think, even when not asked. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: Frank Wils

Bob Badger wrote:
Blaine with over 3000 posts on electrical forums I would say that was a first for me.

But I have always said what I think, even when not asked. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Bob

So, who's the arse then? ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Originally Posted By: rcooke

Time for us all to relax. English is hard for us raised in it how about the person that it is the second language .It is time to have a KAWPHY . Every letter is wrong but most of us know what the word is . Strange language.

Roy Cooke sr.

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

In my reports I use a spell checker. In my posts I don’t use the on-line checker as it is too slow for me.

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: kbowles

Everybody is so danged worried about the word “favour” but lets look at another word in the opening statement… “Your Self”… two words when apart from each other mean different things. But these are certainly TWO words. I think spell check would quite easily pass these as being spelled correctly. It would be up to an individual to not show his/her ignorance by placing them together, with no space when talking about, YOURSELF.

Now, go fourth and prospour ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Kevin

--
Life's a journey, not a destination.
Aerosmith

Originally Posted By: jbehling

kbowles wrote:
Everybody is so danged worried about the word "favour"
Kevin

Is "danged" an actual word? Maybe in the U.S. dictionary ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Is “danged” an actual word? Maybe in the U.S. dictionary.

In the Great American South all forms of "dang" are not only perfectly acceptable, they're considered practically genteel compared to some possible alternatives. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

dang, dang it, danged, ding-dang, etc.

As far as spelling and grammer in our profession goes, I can only quote my Dad:"Every piece of work is a portrait of the person who did it." While one can get carried away with anything, we are in a very real sense paid professional writers. It's half of what we do, so it is important that we do it pretty well.