Spray foam insulation in crawlspace

Originally Posted By: sspradling
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

First time I’ve run across spray foam insulation in a crawlspace. Sprayed into joist spaces, ductwork, plumbing, fiberglass batts, you name it, it’s covered. What are concerns-moisture being trapped, covered electrical, hiddend decay,etc. Any help would be appreciated, this report goes out tomorrow.

Stu.

![](upload://5AeNIzyIGe3260CAgTK14qmBuuc.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: ekartal

As long as the material being applied to is dry, I think that foam insulation is great.

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Quote:
A type of foam insulation has been applied to the sub-floor in the crawl space. Have seller provide documentation as to installation proceedures and warranty. NOTICE: If applied correctly this type of insulator can be beneficial. Be aware that the application of this product covers the sub-flooring as well as the floor joists not allowing for the visual inspection of these systems fully. Some plumbing and electrical systems have also been covered. Possible hidden damage may exists and not be visible.

Finally..I trully cant say anything about the longevity. I hope others will be able to help you with that.

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: wwarner

My only concern would be the formaldehyde and other chemical gases (carcinogens or cancer causing agents) released by this stuff. It’s bad enough with the common building and finishing materials today. This would not be a choice of insulation for my home.

Bill

It's only Rock 'n Roll.... but I like it!

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Hi Stu, All,

I know your report already went out but here is info for future reference.
I was planning to use spray foam on my home (wall cavities) but at the time the materials available at the time were still subject to offgassing for years. Not sure if they have made more home friendly foams yet. One thing that was expected with the installation was that the foam was to be covered by drywall or some type of thermal and possibly vapor barrier had to be present. It would depend on local code. You can find local code online at www.municode.com . Here are some other good links for insulation:

National Insulation Association
www.insulation.org

Comfort Foam (manufacturer)
www.comfortfoam.com

Corbond (manufacturer)
www.corbond.com

Demilec (manufacturer)
www.sealection500.com

Foam-Tech (manufacturer)
www.foam-tech.com

Icynene (manufacturer)
www.icynene.com

Hope this helps for future.

Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Originally Posted By: jkormos

Manny, I believe the Icynene is a soy bean product