Steel I beam support

Marcel & Robert … Appreciate and understand your comments for your areas. The bent nail attachment at the top has been accepted and is commonly done in my area in residential construction. I have seen this done as an accepted practice for over 40 years at various areas throughout Kansas and Missouri and never yet seen it be a problem NOR seen it rejected by code inspectors or others.

The picture that Robert shows is definitely nice, but in over 50 years in construction or home building I have never seen something like that used in my areas. Based on nothing more than than the OP’s original Pics, I would venture a guess if we recommended a SE to evaluate or review that connection you would get laughed out of town in my area.

What he posted is completly out of bounds for residential. Knive blade connections is more on the Commercial side of things.
All beam ends here are secured one way or the other. And no one gets laughed at other than the ones calling a beam attachement with bent nails OK.
So don’t come in this are, because you are the one that will get laugh at.

2 Likes

Something like this is probably not too much to ask :sunglasses:

1 Like

Just a little, I think Brian. LOL That’s a pretty hefty beam. But, I have done that on some commercial jobs using psl columns.

1 Like

Truthfully, I have never really bought into IRC’s 1 1/2" bearing rule for wood. Let’s say an engineer calls for a 6x6 wood post. But then, you are going to bear full load on the edge of that post about as wide as your thumb.

1 Like

I’m with you on that. Steel beams on wood columns have always been full bearing on the width of the column in any job I have done that were engineered and not engineered for end of beams. Minimum of 4" or 6" depending of the column support for the end of the beam.

1 Like

In residential construction, it is common to see a built up steel beam and a beam pocket with king studs, the beam is fastened through the king stud into the side of the built up steel beam with nails, or lag bolts.
download (1)
images

2 Likes

Marcel …

#1 - The OP’s Pic of the connection was NICE as it showed a good part of what he was asking about. Not enough but some.

#2 - What you do in your area is what you do. But in my area the Pic is common and has been for over 40 yrs. In my area, I’ve never seen anybody call that out as some “whoppy do” issue. AND calling a SE for just whats in the Pic is laughable … In MY Area.

I my area that would be called a hack job and would never pass any inspection. In my area….

1 Like

Except Kansas apparently.
I would have been fired to do something like that. When wrong it is wrong for some 40 years.

4 Likes