Strange separation of walls to ceiling throughout the home

1980’s home.

Concrete block foundation knee wall with filled concrete block support piers in the crawlspace.

The gaps at the interior walls/ceiling interface would increase in size as you went to the center of the home.

Leading me to believe that the center of the home was sinking. Which would be one or more of those concrete block piers in the crawlspace.

However, they looked fine with no signs of settling.

Also, the floors all through the home…with a 3 foot level…all showed perfectly level.

I also put the level on the crown molding at the ceiling…and those were all pretty close to perfectly level as well.

wondering if anyone has any idea…

I’m returning friday to retrieve the radon equipment.

I have no problem going back into the crawlspace to look for some sign of sinking/settlement.

From the exterior walls of the home…if you look at the crown molding where the wall meets the ceiling there is pretty much no gap. By the time you get the 12 to 14 feet in to an interior wall…the gap is an inch.

thoughts?

1 Like

google truss uplift…

10 Likes

as soon as I typed it … I thought about the engineered trusses uplift.

got it

and thanks

1 Like

Doe’s the house have trusses? Truss lift, wood shrinkage. Settling. It is not only truss uplift. It is also from wood shrinkage of the dimensional lumber from the main beam, floor joist, etc. and possible settling of the main carrying beam,

3 Likes

yes

this is what is going on…I’m sure of it

correct season for it and everything

just never see it around here for some reason, so caught me off guard

Looking at the pics, The gaps look excessive for truss uplift. :thinking:

1 Like

excessive?

maybe…I think up to 2 inches can be normal…

and this was about an inch…

I have never heard of or have never seen a 1’’ to 2’’ truss uplift, I would put an eye on the main carrying beam and look for settling,

1 Like

Did you check the attic? what is the construction method used?

Center uplift is your clue :slight_smile:

When I’ve found truss uplift in the past it’s usually been in just one or two places and this looks like it’s everywhere. Also, seems odd that a 1980s home would still be seasonally moving that much. I agree its possible/likely but does seem a bit odd and different from how I’ve seen it in the past.

engineered trusses in the attic

there are no signs of foundation settlement

all of the floors are level as are the walls at the crown molding.

I really do think it is truss uplift at this point…

Hey Matt -
I gotta ask, as I’m a bit confused by the photos. (Plus I haven’t had my daily intake of crack and Dr. Pepper).
But anywho - as I view these photos… I must ask - are those actual LB wall-to-ceiling seams? OR am I looking at cabinetry, built-ins, or remodel components (NLB walls) that are simply pulling loose? Which is also a call-out, as they may eventually collapse (particularly cabs and built-ins that can easily be overloaded with shtuff).
Just wundrin.

I don’t believe this has anything to do with truss uplift. There is something else going on.
Look at the gap here;

Looks to me like the gap was there when they sprayed the ceiling. Some of the product filled the gap in some places and not in others.
Recommend a building contractor to evaluate further for the cause if needed or repair as required by replacing and properly installing that bed moulding.
JMHO

3 Likes

My first reaction was “oh how quant – picture rail”. Then I read the rest of your description…

1 Like

sorry I was away for a bit and didnt get back onto this thread

this is simply a 1 inch trim material…not cabinets.

it is throughout the home

You could be correct. The person buying the house has been renting it for about a year or so and she was pointing it out to me and saying she did not remember seeing it when she moved in.

I suppose its possible they sprayed the ceiling and then installed the crown molding trim piece ?

Is the home on a crawlspace? Does it have humidity issues? I have seen this before in homes with damp/wet crawls. I suspected it was compression of the floor structure due to absorbed moisture in the wood. I know you said the floors were level…how level?