Straw Bale Houses

Originally Posted By: rfrancis
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Looked at a straw bale house up here in Canada. Very intresting house. Got lots of great facts on it and etc, what I did not get was the bad side. The claim is if its kept sealed properly and done right it is better then todays house. Any inputs on this type of construction???

Bob Francis

Shamrock Home Inspections Inc

Toronto, Ontario Canada

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

I have yet to inspect a straw bale house but have done much research on them as I was planning to build a heated workshop that way. There are apparently some straw bale house in the US that are over 100 years old and still standing. I ended up not building the workshop with straw bale as the acceptance from the general public is not yet there. At this point I doubt it will add to the resale value of my property. The main concern, true or perceived from people I asked is that there will some how be moisture entering around ground level and cause the bales to rot. And the story of the three little pigs came up a lot icon_rolleyes.gif How can you argue against something that has been taught to them since kindergarten. ?

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: Guest

I helped build a straw bale barn. The first course was recycled, compacted plastic bottles that had been baled into 3x3x5 bales, that cost 30.00 each at the recycling plant. They weighed nearly 700 lbs. They’re quite dense.

Large straw bales on top of those, concrete ledger on top of that to set the trusses on. Wood framing for windows and doors attached with threaded rod inserted into the straw bales after drilling a 1 1/2 inch hole into the bale. Once the 1/2 rod was in the bale the hole was filled w/ mortar and the frames were secured with nuts on the rod. The building was fast, easy and cheap.

4 foot overhangs keep the whole assembly dry and the conventional stucco finish is holding up well.

Chad Fabry wrote:
Large straw bales on top of those, concrete ledger on top of that to set the trusses on.

The ledger can also be made as a box from 2x8-12 lumber

--

Paul Hinsperger
here !

Originally Posted By: jbehling

From all I have researched, they are a great idea and something I am considering in the future. Like anything else, it has to be done right to work right icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dharris

Theres a southern az inspector that built his own straw home. He may have resources on it

His Name is Bob Kille acuspect inspections

I don’t have his email but he is listed on www.azashi.org under sonata or tucson locations

Tour coming up for about 40 strawbale houses in Ontario. See http://www.strawbalebuilding.ca/04tour.shtml for further details

Paul Hinsperger
here !