Straw Poll re Attics

Weasel, squirm, wriggle or belly crawl you name it. Take a picture towards the hatch. I have found many conditions that could have come back and bit me. Go to the ends if you can and if not, document your liability.
T.Neyedli
www.alphahomeinspections.ca

If I can not see where my feet are going because it is covered by insulation, then my feet do not go there.

That was a Cake walk Charley rule #1 If my head will fit my body will follow:) At 5’ 8" and 148 LBS not many snake holes I don’t fit into. Too many chimney flashing leak in my area not to go, and I see a brick chimney in your pic.

I see to many inspectors looking for reasons not to enter a crawl space or an attic some folks call them SOP’'s I call them excuses and that is my opinion.

</IMG></IMG>

I would first view from the hatch and depending on how much accessiblilty there really determines how far to go. I do keep a couple of pieces of 2’x4’ pieces of plywood in the back of the truck to help in certain instances.:slight_smile:

Whether I crawl around in such an attic as the one pictured depends on what I see that makes me suspicious. If there is bowing in the decking, I want to know why, even if I have to duck walk the ceiling joists. In the case of the attic pictured, I want to at least look around that chimney, regardless. If the roof is in good condition, the ventilation is adequate, and there are no exhaust fans venting into the attic, why bother taking a chance on busting some ceiling rock…not to mention my butt. There are safety issues to be taken into account. Anything else can be viewed from the access.

Case by case basis… If I feel that I can safely crawl through most of the attic, I will. I cannot tell you how many improper electrical repairs I find in the attics around here. Everything from splices “fixed” with masking tape to bare wires sitting on the insulation. On occasion, I will find an attic where the insulation is knee deep, and I will just inspect it from the furthest point I can get to, and make VERY sure the client understand why I couldn’t get to the back of the attic. I explain in detail, not just write “Attic Inaccessible”. I heard abut an inspector around here who got sued successfully because he just wrote “Attic Inaccessible” but did not explain WHY it was inaccessible.

P.S. There was fire damage in the attic that a buyer’s inspector found after the inspector’s original clients tried to sell the home.

If you do not go “into” an attic make sure your client knows exactly why & have a good answer if they ask for a name of someone that will!
Some people are just looking for a reason to sue & if you miss anything you just might give them what they are looking for.
DO NOT guess or make up something to put in your report!!:frowning: :smiley:
</IMG></IMG>

What’s all that “dark” suff laying around the vertical support post in your picture?

If I can’t or don’t want to go into the attic for what ever reason I use my digital camera and let the pictures speak for themselves.

I do enter most attics though and ware a mask.

I entered an attic with 10 ’ head room.Joist were all covered with batt insulation then spray in ins . Everything went fine , heading out … and something that caught my eye ,I turned and looked and then started to loose my balance .nothing too easily to grab on with such high rafters and steeped ever so lightly on to the ceiling . the damage was done. The agent asked me if everything was o.k. up there,I said yes ,well we have a little problem down here! luckily my foot did not go through . I brought in a guy to repair my Oops, and all is well. Just embarrassing though . client ended-up on not buying the house due to other issues.

I inspected a home a couple of years ago that was in pristine condition. The biggest problem that I found with the home, was the hole in the ceiling that I created when I missed a joist.:mrgreen:

Last summer, I had a couple of scares when it came to heat. I entered some attics where the temperatures were around 150 degrees, and at least on one occasion, I thought I was going to have to call 911. I think this year I will cut it off at 125 degrees. Any attic that is hotter than that, I may just inspect from the hatch…

Twice now I have found hot knob and tube wiring buried in blown in insulation, both by getting zapped in the ankle, I’m a lot more careful in older houses now, that and on the lookout for racoon tracks

One thing I noticed on an inspection of a newer home the other day was evidence or truss lift along the main bearing wall of the home, the attic had 16" of blow in, and I inspected it from the access hatch, I didn’t want to put my 215 pounds on a lifted truss which may have caused damage to the sheetrock seams in the ceiling below. I always like to see as much of the underside of the roof from the attic before I walk the roof, its nice to know what you’re walking on.

Depends upon the clearance at the hatch. If at least about 30 inches at the hatch, without too long of nails sticking out under the sheathing. I’m in!