To enter or not to enter an attic.

Originally Posted By: Ed Porter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello all,

There has been some talk on a few other boards, and in person with other inspectors about the attic inspection. Do we enter, or don’t we? Obviously, the “easy” attics would be a no-brainer. But, how about a low clearance attic? I have heard comments about not entering ANY attic because it may disturb the insulation. They do the inspection from the attic entrance.

I will enter any attic that is safe to do so, I feel that I owe my client’s a COMPLETE home inspection.

I would like to get comments from this group.

Ed Porter

Cornerstone Home Inspection Services

Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: dbush

Ed, safety first. After that consideration, if I don’t see anything that puts me in jeopardy, then I am with you that a thorough home inspection is what the client paid for. I have always been able to find wood to step on so far. But then again I am still a newbie.

Dave

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: Bill Emelander

icon_cool.gif Dave

I agree with Dave, Safety first. Beyond that you should try to enter all attics. You never know is hiding at the other end.

Bill

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Ed,

I enter all attics that are accessible. I have not found one yet that was unsafe to enter.

If you can not enter the attic you should state that condition in your report.

If you report the condition of the attic from the access panel you should state that in your report and tell your clients you front you could not visually inspect the entire attic because of the limited access.

There is nothing worse than giving your client a false sense of security. Reporting those conditions will be your saving grace.

Hope that helps.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Funny story from one of my field training inspections.

Being the gofer, I carried the ladder upstairs and got it all set for the paid inspector to go up the ladder to remove the hatch and then got out of the way.

She climbed the ladder, with the clients and myself standing around the bottom of the ladder. She lifted one side of the lid about a foot as she stepped up the ladder. Suddenly she drops the flashlight, drops the attic hatch back into place, slides down the ladder, landing on the floor in a crouch looking back up at the hatch.

Seems there was a family of squirrels sitting there looking her in the eye as she opened the lid. After waiting a few minutes, she went back up the ladder, knocked a bunch on the hatch, then opened it and did her inspection from the hatch. The squirrels were hiding by that time.

I enter the attic and go as far as I safely can, which is usually all the way to the far end. I'd rather mess up a little bit of insulation than miss some of the things I've seen by going to the far end or around the bend on the L shapes.

How many referrals are you going to get from clients when you miss these things and the client, during repairs, or another home inspector upon selling, find these.

None of these photographed items were visible from the hatch area. The rafter and missing insulation board were around bends on L shapes and the chimney stuff was on the far side about 30 feet from the attic hatch. The ceiling at the chimney had been repaired so no visible signs from below. The chimney flashing was covered with gunk that had already cracked.

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Erby:

You're the greatest! How do you come up with these digital photos so fast? I love 'em.

Nick

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

From Inspections within the last month and the photos still on the hard drive.

I look, I find, I report, I post.

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: rmeyers

Great pictures Erby!

I agree with the previous comments that the attic is a critical part of the inspection and barring "Safety Issues" we owe our clients the "Extra Effort" sometimes needed enter and thoroughly examine these areas.

In my opinion, not wanting to "Disturb the Insulation" is a sorry excuse for not doing your job! Batts are not generally disturbed that much even if you do step on them and the blown products can be "Fluffed " back up and "re-leveled" as you back out with very little effort.

Caution should be taken to make sure you are stepping on solid ceiling joist, or walkways intended for access so that you don't damage the finished ceilings below.

As a matter of personal health and safety, a dust mask or respirator should be worn when checking both attics and crawl spaces. (Not always followed my own advice!) Besides the usual insulation dust, rodent residue, dead things, sewer leaks, molds, etc. on several occasions I've run across excessive numbers of spent "Bug Bombs" and questionable residue from "Home Remedy" extermination projects.

--
Russ Meyers

Originally Posted By: Rusty Rothrock

Ed -

I agree with what everyone else is saying concerning attic inspections. The attic is a critical part of the house and it needs to be inspected. If you are unable to access the attic either due to low clearance or storage items, you need to document that in your inspection report.

I personally inspect the entire inside of the house before going outside and up on the roof. Inspecting the attic is the last thing I do inside. Many things can be seen in an attic that will help you to determine the condition of the roof. For instance, I'm always looking at the roofing nails that are coming through the roof sheathing. The nails tell me how many layers of shingles are on the roof or whether a layer has been pulled off (empty nail holes in the roof sheathing). Obviously seeing water stains on roof sheathing in the attic alerts me to look for the cause once I get up on the roof. Like a lot of things that we do in a home inspection, it's detective work finding out the cause of things.

Regards, Rusty